A spectacular main or side dish, this whole roasted cauliflower is tender, delicious and easy to make.
Let’s make a whole cauliflower roast! This veggie “roast” may be his favorite dish to make at his party or holiday meals for dinner. It’s simple (the oven does most of the work for you!), it can be passed as a main dish for some people and a side dish for others, and it looks so impressive in the center of the table. is.
And this roasted cauliflower recipe doesn’t disappoint in taste either: the long roasting in two batches gives it a beautifully browned crust and a melt-in-the-mouth tenderness. I’ve included instructions for a plain roast in the recipe card below, but you also have the option to dress it up with the vibrant harissa-based sauce pictured here. Adds a rich, earthy, smoky flavor to your coffee.
Whole Roasted Cauliflower Recipe Ingredients
First things first, to make this roasted cauliflower recipe, cauliflower!Choose a medium sized one that weighs about 2 pounds. Slightly smaller or larger cauliflower heads are fine, but keep in mind that you’ll need to adjust the baking time accordingly.
If you want to roast plain, Olive oil Helps soften and brown in the oven salt and pepper For seasoning.
If you’re making the sauce, you’ll also need the following ingredients:
- mild harissa – I like Mina Harissa brand.
- ground cumin – For an earthy and fragrant flavor.
- smoked paprika – for smokiness.
- dried thyme – Adds a fresh, woody citrus flavor.
- and red pepper flakes – For heat.
Either way, you’ll want to lemon wedge When fresh coriander to serve.
Find the full recipe with the measurements below.
How to make whole roasted cauliflower
You can find the full recipe with measurements below, but here’s an overview of the process.
- First, make the sauce. Super easy to mix! Skip this step if you want to create a plain version.
- Next, prepare the cauliflower. Remove the tough outer leaves and carefully cut off the bottom of the stem using a sharp knife to flatten the cauliflower. Place in a cast iron skillet and brush with 1/3 of the sauce. For the plain version, rub the cauliflower with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Now for the roast part 1. Cover skillet with foil and roast at 425°F for 30 minutes.
- And roast part 2. Remove foil from skillet. If you’re making the plain version, drizzle the cauliflower generously with olive oil at this point. Either way, roast for an additional 30 minutes or until the center of the cauliflower is tender.
- Season and serve. If making the sauce version, remove the cauliflower from the oven and brush with the other half of the sauce. Cut into wedges and serve with freshly squeezed lemon juice, fresh herbs and remaining sauce. If you made the plain version, serve your roasted cauliflower heads with your favorite sauce! Find some suggestions in the tips below.
Whole Roasted Cauliflower Recipe Tips and Variations
- Use a 2-part roast. This technique is key to making whole roasted cauliflower tender on the inside and charred on the outside. Exact timing depends on oven and size of cauliflower.
- Add the sauce after baking. Gives cauliflower a gorgeous sheen and adds bold flavor. Serve with sauce on the side!
- Try another flavor profile. We love the harissa sauce we recommend here, but this roasted cauliflower can be used in many other directions as well. Serve sliced with pesto, roasted tomatoes, parmesan cheese and pine nuts.
- Please have a snack. If you’re serving a whole roasted cauliflower for Christmas or Thanksgiving dinner, you’ll likely have plenty of side dishes to round out the meal. But this whole roasted cauliflower can also be a satisfying vegan entree on its own. Serve over bean dip. These bean-based spreads add a delicious creamy texture and protein boost to this plant-based recipe.
Other Veggie Main Dish Recipes
If you like roasting whole cauliflower heads (!), try these veggie entrees.
This whole roasted cauliflower recipe is a delicious plant-based main or side dish! Here are two variations. You can roast cauliflower in a flavorful harissa sauce or plain roast (see notes below).
- 1 medium cauliflower, about 2 pounds, remove tough outer leaves
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- wedge lemon, for diaphragm
- fresh coriander, for decoration
- ¾ cup gentle harissa, we like Mina Harissa Mild
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ tea spoon ground cumin
- ¾ tea spoon smoked paprika
- ¾ tea spoon dried thyme
- ½ tea spoon sea salt
- heaping ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Make the sauce: In a small bowl, combine harissa, olive oil, cumin, paprika, thyme, salt and red pepper flakes.
Cut off the bottom of the cauliflower core so that it lies flat. Place the cauliflower in a cast-iron skillet and brush the cauliflower with his 1/3 of the sauce. Cover skillet with foil and roast for 30 minutes. Open the lid and he roasts for another 30 minutes or until the middle of the cauliflower is fork tender.
Remove from oven and brush with half of the remaining sauce. Season with salt and pepper, and squeeze lemon juice. Garnish with cilantro, slice into quarters, and serve with remaining sauce.
**For the no-sauce version, slice the bottom of the cauliflower core so that it lies flat. Place the cauliflower in a cast iron skillet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon sea salt. Use your hands to coat. Cover skillet with foil and roast for 30 minutes. Uncover, drizzle with another 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and roast for an additional 30 minutes or until cauliflower is golden brown on the outside and fork-tender in the center.