of BEST CHICKEN ENCHILADA RECIPEThese easy chicken enchiladas are made with shredded chicken, cheese and homemade enchilada sauce.
When I go out for Mexican food, I always order chicken enchiladas because they are my favourite!! This enchilada recipe has been one of my most popular recipes since I first posted it. My Easy Homemade Enchilada Sauce is truly amazing, so don’t skip that step! Because I am always disappointed. Enjoy enchiladas with coriander-lime rice and refried beans.
- garlic and onion, chopped
- chipotle chili with adobo sauce, optional
- tomato sauce
- chipotle chili powder, ground cumin, kosher salt, fresh pepper (optional)
- low sodium chicken soup
- Cooked shredded chicken breast (from store-bought rotisserie chicken or slow-cooked shredded chicken).Also works with chicken thighs
- garlic and onion, chopped
- kosher salt, cumin, dried oregano, chipotle chili powder (optional)
- chicken soup and tomato sauce
- whole grain or gluten-free tortillas
- Finely chopped partially skimmed Mexican cheese blend, cheddar or monterey jack cheese
- Chopped green onions or cilantro, plus optional toppings such as sour cream, avocado, Greek yogurt, and jalapenos.
how to make chicken enchiladas
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Make the enchilada sauce: In a pan, fry the minced garlic in oil. Add chipotle chili, chili powder, cumin, chicken broth, tomato sauce, salt, and pepper. Boil for 5-10 minutes and set aside.
- Make the chicken filling: In a frying pan, fry the chopped onions and garlic. Add shredded chicken, coriander, cumin, oregano, chili powder, tomato sauce, and chicken broth. Cook for 4-5 minutes and set aside.
- assemble: Spray a 13-by-9-inch baking dish with oil. Place 1/3 cup chicken mixture on each tortilla, roll up, and place seam side down on a plate.
- bake: Drizzle with enchilada sauce, sprinkle with shredded cheese, cover and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- garnish Garnish with chopped scallions or cilantro for additional optional toppings. Enjoy it hot!
What is an enchilada?
Enchiladas are a traditional Mexican dish consisting of tortillas stuffed with meat, cheese, beans, vegetables and spices, rolled and covered with enchilada sauce. Enchiladas are served hot and can be topped with additional cheese, sour cream, avocado, or other toppings.
What should I put in my enchiladas?
Enchiladas can be stuffed with anything you can think of. I used shredded chicken breasts for this chicken enchilada recipe, but I have a few more ideas.
How to make shredded chicken for enchiladas:
To make shredded chicken in a slow cooker, use boneless and skinless chicken breasts (or thighs) and cover the top with enough water or broth. cut and shred. If you’re short on time, you can also use leftover chicken breasts from a rotisserie chicken.
What to serve with enchiladas:
This chicken enchilada recipe has been one of my go-to recipes for years and is always a hit when serving friends and family. If so, upvote me and let me know what you think!
See more enchilada recipes
yield: 8 serving
Serving size: 1 big enchiladas
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Heat oil in a medium pot, add garlic, and fry for 30 seconds. Add chipotle chili, chili powder, cumin, chicken broth, tomato sauce, salt, and pepper. bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes to blend flavors. Set aside until use.
Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions and garlic over low heat until soft, about 2 minutes. Add chicken, salt, coriander, cumin, oregano, chili powder, tomato sauce and chicken broth and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Removed from heat.
Spray a 13-by-9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish with oil. Add 1/3 cup chicken mix to each tortilla and roll.
Place the baking dish seam side down and top with the sauce. Then top with cheese.
Cover with foil and bake in medium oven for 20-25 minutes, until cheese is melted. Garnish with green onions or coriander. Optional: Top with your favorite toppings if desired. (Bonus) Make 8 enchiladas.
please leave a rating and comment Let us know how you liked this recipe! This allows our business to thrive and allow us to continue providing high quality recipes for free.
How to make shredded chicken in a slow cooker, Place the breast in the slow cooker and cover with enough chicken broth. Cook 4 hours on low or 2 hours on high and mince with 2 forks.
Serving: 1 big enchiladas, calorie: 168 kcal, carbohydrates: 17 g, protein: 17 g, obesity: 6.5 g, saturated fat: 2 g, cholesterol: 29.5 mg, sodium: 441 mg, fiber: 8.5 g, sugar: 3 g
photo credit Sara of Broma Bakery