Sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts are roasted with balsamic and parmesan to enhance the flavor of two of my favorite vegetables! If you want even less carbs, add more Brussels sprouts and less sweet potatoes.
As the holiday season came around, I focused entirely on side dishes and this recipe Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts It’s an idea that popped into my head a few years ago. And when the idea came to my mind to combine sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts into a roasted vegetable dish, I had to try it.
I tried the combination of baked sweet potato and brussels sprouts My nephew Jake, my brother Rand, and all three of us thought this combination was just the bomb. We loved eating it with Parmesan cheese, but everyone agreed that feta cheese is delicious too, and this recipe couldn’t be easier.
And since I don’t think many of my readers have tried this, I’d like to feature it in this Friday’s Favorites and try it as a holiday side dish option. Please enjoy!
What are the ingredients needed for this recipe?
Can I prepare the sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts ahead of time?
If you’re busy making the rest of your meal, you can cut up the Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes the day before if you’re making this for a holiday meal. Keep the two vegetables separate so the sweet potatoes can be cooked first before adding the Brussels sprouts.
Do Brussels sprouts stink while cooking?
Boiling or cooking too long can give the Brussels sprouts an unpleasant odor. But when roasted or quickly cooked in a pan, it does not smell like that.
How can I make this low carb?
This recipe is surprisingly low in net carbs, but if you want an even lower carb version, use more Brussels sprouts and less sweet potatoes.
Want a recipe for low-carb Brussels sprouts?
Check out our Keto Brussel sprouts recipe for delicious ideas for brussels sprouts perfect for the holidays.
How to make baked sweet potato and brussels sprouts
(Scroll down for the full printable recipe with nutritional information.)
- Peel the sweet potato, cut into bite-sized pieces, and season with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Spread out on a baking sheet and roast the sweet potatoes at 450F/220C for 20 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, cut the brussels sprout stems, cut them in half, and add the remaining olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Combine with sweet potatoes in roasting pan and roast for about 20 more minutes or until sweet potatoes are cooked and both vegetables are slightly browned.
- Serve hot sprinkled with parmesan (or feta!)
A lot of grilled vegetables you want to eat!
1 lb. orange sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces about 1 inch wide.
1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
Olive oil 2T
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Season with salt and freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450F/220C.
- Spray an extra large baking sheet with olive oil or nonstick spray.
- Peel the sweet potato and cut it into 1 cm wide ginkgo slices.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1.5 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Spread sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, wash and dehydrate the Brussels sprouts or pat dry with paper towels.
- Trim the ends off the brussels sprouts and cut in half lengthwise. (Throw away any leaves that have fallen. They can easily burn in a hot oven.)
- Toss the brussels sprouts with another tablespoon of olive oil, the remaining 1.5 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Once the sweet potatoes have cooked for 20 minutes, remove the baking sheet and toss the sweet potatoes with the Brussels sprouts.
- Roast an additional 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are cooked and both vegetables are lightly browned. (If oven is hot, check after 15 minutes.)
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese (or feta cheese) if desired and serve warm.
Nutrition Facts Table:
Amount Per Serving:
calorie: 111Total Fat: 5gsaturated fat: 1gTrans fat: 0gUnsaturated fat: 3gcholesterol: 4mgsodium: 165mgcarbohydrate: 15gfiber: 3gsugar: 7gprotein: 3g
The Recipe Plug-In I use automatically calculates nutritional information. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy as many variables affect the calculations.
Low Carb / Low Glycemic / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This sweet potato and brussels sprouts recipe as written has 12 net carbs per serving, but you can easily cut back on carbs by adding more brussels sprouts and less sweet potatoes. considered, but limited to Phase 2 or 3 in the original South Beach Diet.
Find more recipes like this:
Find more recipes like this with side dishes. Use the diet type index to find recipes that are suitable for specific meal plans.I also recommend following Karin’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on facebook, on Instagram, on TikTokAlso on youtube To see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical notes for this recipe:
This recipe was posted in 2015 and I’ve made it several times for Thanksgiving since then. Last updated in 2022 with additional details.
The Amazon Services LLC Associate Program is an affiliate promotion program designed to provide a means to earn commissions by linking to Amazon.co.jp and affiliate sites. As an Amazon Associate, I earn income from qualifying purchases.