a grilled chicken salad A quintessential summer dinner, this recipe is one of my favourites! Tender chicken is paired with crunchy vegetables, feta cheese, strawberries, avocado and cherry tomatoes, all tied together in a tangy honey mustard dressing. I’m here.
Who wants to let go of their kitchen for summer? Shall we close the shop and come back in September when the weather is cooler?
Ok, that’s not an option when you’re a food blogger, but if you can avoid standing over the stove or turning on the oven when it’s warm, that’s a win in my book.
This Grilled Chicken Salad is the perfect meal for my fellow kitchen haters. prize.
Oh, and make a Skinny Margarita or a Saint-Germain cocktail, too. Dinner on the patio wouldn’t be complete without a fancy drink. (That rule was made by me, but it’s a good rule.)
Why I Love This Grilled Chicken Salad
There are so many grilled chicken salads in this wonderful world of ours, what makes this one stand out?
- it starts with the best chickenA reader-favorite recipe for grilled chicken. To be exact, serve with your favorite marinade. Always tender, always juicy and perfectly charred for maximum flavor.
- Full of contrasting textures and flavors. Crunchy almonds! Juicy strawberries and tomatoes! Crispy green! Creamy avocado! Sweetness, umami, saltiness, and umami all come together to create the most delicious salad.
- That dress,Honey, Dijon and bright citrusy lemon are just a spoonful of deliciousness and perfect to bring it all together. so many flavors!
how to make grilled chicken salad
Like most salads, this one is very adaptable.
I will share some ideas below. Alternatively, you can use our BBQ Chicken Salad or Caribbean Chicken Salad recipes for inspiration.
make sure there is a green completely Let it dry before assembling the salad. This will make the salad more flavorful and less soggy.
- grilled chicken breastI like to make these for dinner one night and save two breasts to make this grilled chicken salad the next night.
- sliced almondsFeel free to substitute walnuts or cashews.
- red onion or shallotThese give the salad a little punch, but even if you’re not usually a fan of raw onions, there’s a secret to rounding out the flavor.
- romaine lettuce and spinachGreen Base for salad.
- strawberryDoesn’t the strawberry look hot at the grocery store? replaced with blueberries.
- cherry tomatoesAdds color, flavor and pop of juicy tartness.
- avocadoThese add a creamy texture and healthy fats to salads.
- kosher saltDon’t forget to season the salad!
- feta cheeseThis grilled chicken salad is also delicious with goat cheese.
- lemon juiceRaw Shibori, not bottling!
- extra virgin olive oilOur dressing base.
- HoneyPlus a slight sweetness.
- dijon mustardThis adds depth to the dressing and makes it far more flavorful than a simple lemon vinaigrette.
- kosher salt and black pepper. Classic.
- toast the almondsThis brings out their flavor.
- pickle red onionsThis eliminates sharp bites.
- make a dressingA liquid measuring cup is a handy container.
- throw everything together. fun!
- grilled shrimp saladSubstitute grilled shrimp for grilled chicken. We have a great recipe for grilled shrimp seasoning.
- Whole wheat grilled chicken salad. addition cooked quinoa Or add to salads for extra texture and protein.
- fruity grilled chicken saladSwap out the honey Dijon dressing for a balsamic vinaigrette and substitute sliced ripe peaches for tomatoes.
- Grilled chicken salad with plenty of vegetablesInstead of strawberries, add cucumber slices and fresh corn off the cob.
- rotisserie chicken saladDon’t have time to grill? This salad recipe also works with rotisserie chicken or leftover baked chicken breast.
- to the storeIt’s best to store salads, dressings, and chicken separately. Chicken and salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 days, and the dressing can be kept for 1 week. The assembled salad can be stored in the refrigerator for about a day.
- reheatHeat the chicken in a skillet over medium-low heat or microwave until cooked through.
- To freezeWith so many fresh ingredients, this is not a recipe that freezes well.
meal prep tips
Prepare chicken ahead of time and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. You can assemble the salad ahead of time, but to avoid soggy vegetables, don’t dress until you’re ready to serve.
Transform your grilled chicken salad into a wrap! Sandwich the ingredients in a tortilla and roll it like a burrito to transform your salad into a portable lunch. Or, take inspiration from our Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad and toss it with cooked pasta noodles.
Grilled chicken salad garnish
- Anti-slip cutting boardI like this cutting board because it doesn’t absorb smells or flavors.
- mixing bowlYes, these are glass, but they are Duralex so they are completely indestructible.
- citrus juicerI love this lemon juicer because it also has an insert for limes. convenience!
Enjoy dinner outdoors tonight with this summer grilled chicken salad.
A grilled chicken salad is a great way to get your protein and veggies in. The combination of lean protein, fresh produce, healthy fats, and fiber make it a highly nutritious meal option.
Yes, you can make a grilled chicken salad ahead of time, but it’s a good idea to keep the chicken, dressing, and remaining ingredients separate and combine them just before serving.
A light vinaigrette is perfect for a grilled chicken salad. The creamy, heavy dressing takes away some of the lightness and freshness of this recipe.
- 2 grilled chicken breast cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- ½ small red onion Or 1 small thinly sliced shallot
- Four cup chopped romaine lettuce About 1 big heart
- Four cup baby spinach about 4 ounces
- 8 ounce strawberry peeled and quartered (about 1/2 pint)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes half (about 6 ounces)
- 2 ripe avocado diced, divided
- 1/8 tea spoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup feta cheese
Toast almonds: Add almonds to a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent burning. Reduce heat to medium-low. Continue cooking and stirring until fragrant and beginning to turn golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes more. Transfer immediately to a plate or bowl to cool.
Place the sliced onions in a bowl and cover with cold water. Let it sit while you prepare the rest of the salad (this keeps the flavor but takes away the pungency of the onion).
Make the Dressing: In a medium spouted bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk lemon juice, oil, honey, mustard, salt, and pepper until evenly combined.
Place romaine and spinach in a large bowl. Add strawberries, tomatoes and 1 avocado. Sprinkle with salt. Drain the red onion, pat dry and add as well. Add chicken; Spoon about half of the dressing over the salad and toss to coat (I found clean hands to be the ideal tool for tossing). You want the leaves to be well moist but not to swim in the dressing.
Add remaining avocado, feta cheese, and almonds. Lightly mix again. Consume immediately. Drizzle additional dressing on sides if desired.
Serving: 2gcalorie: 630kcalcarbohydrates: 32gprotein: 38gobesity: 42gsaturated fat: 9gPolyunsaturated fat: 6gMonounsaturated fat: twenty fourgTrans fat: 0.003gcholesterol: 98mgpotassium: 1320mgfiber: 12gsugar: 15gVitamin A: 7382IUVitamin C: 69mgcalcium: 264mgiron: Fourmg
Join now and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite recipes and access free meal plans.