Looking for a moist, soft and packed with banana flavor? banana bread recipe Easy and healthy!?! This is the healthy banana bread recipe you need…plus topped with a crunchy streusel topping that takes the flavor to the next level.
When my children come home from school or activities and make homemade bread, I immediately realize what a great mother I am. wink, wink. Makes me feel really good. And nothing beats the smell of sweet banana bread baked in the oven. This healthy banana bread topped with streusel contains far less sugar and whole grains than other recipes, but doesn’t affect the texture or flavor! It’s a perfect delicious recipe. Moist, flavorful and delicious continue to grow.
Ingredients needed for healthy banana bread
- Whole wheat flour: It offers whole grain goodness, richer flavor and texture, and far more nutrition than traditional white flour.
- banana: Use up those brown bananas! The more brown it is, the sweeter and softer it is, which is perfect for this recipe.
- Coconut oil: An unrefined oil that provides the perfect amount of moisture and a delicious coconut flavor.
- brown sugar: It’s deeper and more caramel-y than white sugar, which is perfect for banana bread.
- Greek yogurt: Add water, protein and reduce the amount of oil needed.
- flour. If you don’t have access to whole grains or don’t like using them in baked goods, try white whole grains. It bakes just like all-purpose flour, but has the nutrition of whole grains.
- oil. Melted butter or other vegetable oil can be used in place of coconut oil.
- nuts. Want to make banana nut bread? Add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, pecans, or macadamia nuts, then pour into pan.
- Yogurt. You can also use sour cream instead of yogurt to make sour cream banana bread.
- add-in. Add 1/2 cup chocolate chips to chocolate chip banana bread! Add 1/2 cup fresh blueberries for blueberry banana bread. The possibilities are endless!
How to make moist and healthy banana bread
This banana bread is easy to make and is very similar to other quick breads: mix the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another, then mix them together. So easy! !
- Combine the first 5 dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- mash the bananas. If you like banana pieces in your bread, don’t mash them. If not, mash well. Mash using a fork, potato masher, or meat chopper.
- Combine wet ingredients in another bowl and add bananas.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until blended.
- Spray or grease a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan and pour the mixture into it.
- Mix the streusel ingredients together. Sprinkle evenly over dough for a delicious, crunchy topping.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until toothpick comes clean. fun!
What are the health benefits of bananas?
I love banana bread because it tastes good, but I also love the health benefits of the bananas inside.
Bananas are a big part of many children’s diets. They are soft enough to be served at a young age. And because they’re so versatile, you can eat them in so many different ways. Eat breakfast with just frozen banana pops, smoothies, and toppings like this banana split.
- A good source of potassium! They can literally lower blood pressure (high blood pressure is becoming more common in children today.
- Does your child get heartburn? Banana is a natural antacid!
- Rich in B vitamins (improves nerve function)
- Good source of fiber. So many children have intestinal problems, and fiber is a great way to ease it.
Frequently Asked Questions about Making Healthy Banana Bread
- Can I make muffins with this recipe? yes! Pour batter into greased muffin tins and bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until popping.
- How many cups of mashed bananas can be made from 3 medium bananas? 3 medium bananas make about 1 cup of mashed bananas.
- How to make banana bread healthier? This banana bread recipe contains whole wheat flour, which is rich in B vitamins and fiber.It also contains Greek yogurt, which is packed with calcium and protein. And bananas too!
More on my favorite banana recipe
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon butter softened
- 1/4 cup dried banana chips chopped
Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
mash the bananas. If you like bread pieces, don’t mash them. If not, mash well.
Place brown sugar, coconut oil, yogurt, vanilla and mashed bananas in another bowl. Whisk until smooth.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until blended.
Spray or grease a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan and pour the mixture into it.
Sprinkle the streusel topping evenly over the top.
Bake for 55-60 minutes or until clean with a toothpick.
Whisk together the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Using a fork or pastry blender, chop the butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Mix in the chopped banana chips. Sprinkle evenly over the dough.
calorie: 216kcal | | carbohydrate: 37g | | protein: 3g | | thick: 7g | | saturated fat: Fiveg | | Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g | | Monounsaturated fat: 0.5g | | Trans fat: 0.01g | | cholesterol: 1mg | | sodium: 275mg | | potassium: 185mg | | fiber: 2g | | sugar: 15g | | Vitamin A: 30IU | | Vitamin C: 3mg | | calcium: 45mg | | iron: 1mg
I am a registered dietitian, mother of four, a food lover and a strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you’ll find delicious, fruit- and veg-rich recipes, tips to help your kids eat better and more intuitively, and tons of resources to feed your family.
Learn more about Natalie