If you want people who don’t like tofu to become believers, destroy them! This vegan spicy gochujang tofu bowl is packed with protein, veggies, and tons of flavor!
Spicy gochujang tofu bowl
Tofu’s texture often turns people away. However, when broken into minced meat-sized pieces, it becomes the perfect canvas for your favorite flavor combinations, like this Mexican-inspired tofu taco with potatoes and poblanos. Brings out the perfect spice for tofu bowls. For meatless dinner ideas, if you’re into cooking with tofu, try these Spicy Sriracha Tofu Rice Bowls and this Kung Pao Tofu.
What is gochujang paste made of?
I love the sweet and spicy flavor of gochujang.Gochujang is a spicy Korean chili paste made with red pepper, natto, rice and salt. , balanced with a fresh mix of shredded cabbage and carrots drenched in a tangy sesame dressing.
Gochujang Tofu Donburi Ingredients
- Tofu: I used a lot of firm tofu, but the firmness matches well.
- sauce: gochujang, soy sauce, rice vinegar
- Ginger: Grate 1 teaspoon of ginger.
- garlic: Chop 2 cloves of garlic.
- coleslaw: rice vinegar, sesame oil, honey, salt, tricolor coleslaw mix, spring onion
- Rice: You will need 1 cup of freshly cooked brown rice.
- sliced lime for serving
How do you squeeze the water out of tofu?
All liquid should be squeezed out so that the tofu is not soggy and watery. Place tofu on a plate lined with paper towels or tea towels. Cover with another towel and place a thick pan on top to squeeze out excess water.
How to make Tofu Donburi
- Tofu preparation: After draining the water from the tofu, break it up into pieces about the size of minced meat.
- Tofu sauce: Whip the gochujang with soy sauce and 1 tablespoon vinegar.
- Cook tofu: Add sesame oil to a large frying pan over medium heat. Stir-fry the garlic and ginger for 30 seconds, then add the tofu. Boil for 5 minutes, add gochujang sauce and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Throw: Mix all coleslaw ingredients.
- serve: Divide the rice in half and top with the coleslaw, tofu, and green onions.
how to prepare meals
Place each tofu bowl in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 4 days. For bento, put the tofu and rice in one container and heat it in the microwave. Place the coleslaw in a separate container and add to the bowl before serving.
Variation of Tofu Donburi:
- protein: If you like meat, substitute tofu for minced meat or turkey.
- What can I use instead of gochujang? Sriracha is a good substitute for gochujang.
- Rice: Use your favorite base, such as quinoa, soba, or rice vermicelli. If you’re eating low-carb, replace the rice with cauliflower rice or extra shredded vegetables.
- Throw: If you don’t want to buy ready-made, feel free to make your own coleslaw with green and red cabbage and carrots.
- vegetable: For extra nutrition, add broccoli, zucchini, and bell peppers.
Healthier Bowl Recipes You’ll Love
yield: 2 serving
Serving size: 1 bowl
Place tofu on a plate lined with paper towels or tea towels. Cover with another towel and place a thick pan on top to squeeze excess water out of the tofu.
Place the tofu in a small bowl and use your fingers to break it into small pieces (minced meat size). set aside.
In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk the gochujang along with 1 tablespoon soy sauce and vinegar.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add 1/2 tablespoon of sesame oil and coat the bottom of the frying pan evenly.
Add garlic and ginger and fry for 30 seconds. Add the crushed tofu and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until some parts begin to brown.
Add the gochujang sauce and mix to coat evenly. Cook, stirring often, until edges are slightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes more.
Meanwhile, prepare coleslaw. In a small mixing bowl, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar, 2 teaspoons sesame oil, and 1 teaspoon honey with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add coleslaw mix and green onion whites to toss and coat evenly with dressing.
Divide rice between 2 medium bowls.
Add 1 1/2 cups coleslaw and 1 cup tofu to each bowl. Top each with a green onion leaf and serve immediately.
please leave a rating and comment Let us know how you liked this recipe! This allows our business to thrive and allow us to continue providing high quality recipes for free.
Serving: 1 bowl, calorie: 473 kcal, carbohydrates: 50 g, protein: 26 g, obesity: 19 g, saturated fat: 2.5 g, sodium: 942 mg, fiber: 6 g, sugar: 17 g