OMG this yellow chicken curry! ❤️ Seriously, it’s one of my favorite easy weeknight meals, so keep your grocery list ready, because this is the recipe you need to make.
Abra and I first tested the recipe a few years ago in anticipation of maternity leave. Years later, we still speak seriously. It’s one of those recipes that I keep coming back to over and over again because it’s just right.
So my curry lover loves this slow cooker yellow chicken curry it’s for you It’s dairy and gluten free, so if you’ve never had curry before, give it a try. Promise me you’ll fall in love!
Ingredients for slow cooker yellow chicken curry.
What I love about this chicken curry is that it’s made in a slow cooker.Just throw everything in and let it simmer to perfection all day! What else do you like? A rainbow of vegetables slow-cooked with warm spices. Flavorful, full of umami, hearty and incredibly nourishing. To make this yellow chicken curry you will need the following ingredients:
- Coconut milk: we use cans of light coconut milk Makes a creamy, flavorful curry sauce.
- broth: feel free to use chicken soup Or water for the curry “sauce” in which the chicken is cooked.
- peanut butter: A couple of tablespoons of all-natural creamy peanut butter gives this dish incredible flavor.I love wild friends peanut butterand you can use the code 15% off “AMBITIOUS15”!
- soy sauce: a bit soy sauce It gives curries a savory and salty punch.
- Garlic & Ginger: I highly recommend using fresh garlic and ginger. Both are highly nutritious.
- spices: Adding yellow curry powder, turmeric, cayenne peppersalt and freshly ground black pepper to bring out all the flavors of the curry.
- chicken: I like to use boneless skinless chicken breasts, but you can substitute chicken thighs.
- vegetable: Add lots of gorgeous veggies like carrots, onions, red peppers, sweet potatoes, and peas.
- Garnish with: Top off the bowl with a little fresh coriander. You can also add a squeeze of lime juice for extra brightness.
Is yellow curry spicy?
This Thai yellow chicken curry is not naturally spicy, so if you buy regular curry powder or mild yellow curry powder (tastes sweeter than spicy), this healthy dinner is fairly mild in spice.
If you like a kick of heat (like me), be sure to include cayenne pepper in your spice! Spicy or not, this curry has a bold, warm flavor that you will love.
Looking for vegetarian options?
Try one of these delicious plant-based curry recipes.
How to make yellow chicken curry in slow cooker.
Healthy yellow chicken curry made in a slow cooker is super easy!
- Whisk the “sauce” ingredients. First, add coconut milk, broth, peanut butter, soy sauce, garlic and ginger to the slow cooker. Whisk these together and then add all the spices.
- Add chicken and vegetables. Next, add the chicken breast directly to the slow cooker, along with the sweet potatoes, carrots, and onions. Make sure these are all covered with sauce.
- Cook & Shred. Cook the curry for 3-4 hours on high heat and 6-7 hours on low heat. When done, remove the chicken with a slotted spoon, mince with two forks, and return to the slow cooker.
- Serve with vegetables to finish. Finally, add the red paprika and peas and simmer over high heat for 10-20 minutes until the paprika is soft. Serve with coriander and enjoy with rice or naan!
try it on the range
Yes, you can easily make this healthy yellow chicken curry on the stovetop if you prefer. Method is as follows.
- Cook chicken. First, put a little olive or coconut oil in a large pot and heat it over medium heat. Add chicken and fry until no longer pink. Transfer the cooked chicken to a cutting board and shred with 2 forks. Alternatively, you can cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Fry the vegetables. Add a little more olive or coconut oil to the pan and add the following vegetables and herbs: garlic, ginger, sweet potato, carrot and onion. cook 5 minutes or until onions begin to soften.
- Add the “sauce” ingredients. Then add the spices for 30 seconds before adding the rest of the “sauce” ingredients. You may need to add 1/2 cup to 1 cup more broth if needed. Cook an additional 5 to 10 minutes, then stir in the cooked chicken, red peppers, and peas. Cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Garnish with coriander and serve with rice or naan.
What goes well with slow cooker yellow chicken curry
This recipe is incredible when eaten with:
- brown rice, jasmine rice, or basmati rice
- my famous creamy coconut rice
- Fluffy quinoa
- cauliflower rice (if looking for a low carb option)
- Dip additional yellow curry sauce on side of toasted pita bread or naan bread
How to store and freeze yellow chicken curry
This yellow chicken curry can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- To freeze: Do not overcook the vegetables. Allow curry to cool completely before transferring to a freezer-safe bag or container. Freezes for up to 2 months. We do not recommend freezing yellow chicken curry with rice.
- To reheat: Thaw the chicken curry in the refrigerator. While the curry is defrosting, make rice, cauliflower rice, or quinoa if you like. Microwave or microwave for 2 minutes and heat until cooked through.
Slow Cooker Recipes You’ll Love
Get all my slow cooker recipes here!
If you make this easy yellow chicken curry recipe, please leave a comment and rate the recipe below. thank you. xo.
slow cooker yellow chicken curry
total time 3 time 15 minutes
A delicious and healthy slow-cooker yellow chicken curry made with the savory flavors of warm spices, coconut milk and peanut butter. This healthy and easy yellow chicken curry recipe is packed with veggies and perfect for a weeknight dinner for the whole family. Option to serve with rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice.
(15 oz) can light coconut milk
chicken broth (or water)
Natural Creamy Peanut Butter (or Cashew Butter)
gluten-free soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
freshly grated ginger
yellow curry powder (or regular curry powder)
- freshly ground black pepper
boneless skinless chicken breast
medium sweet potato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 1/2 cups of sweet potato cubes)
carrot (medium), sliced
yellow onion, diced
red bell pepper, shredded
- Garnish with:
- fresh diced coriander
Add coconut milk, broth (or water), peanut butter, soy sauce, garlic, and grated ginger to a large slow cooker. Whisk to mix and mix in spices such as curry powder, turmeric, cayenne, pepper and salt.
Place the chicken breast in the slow cooker, followed by the sweet potatoes, carrots, and onions. Stir lightly so that the sauce coats the chicken and vegetables all over.
3-4 hours on high heat, 6-7 hours on low heat. Remove chicken with slotted spoon and shred with 2 forks. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker.
Before ready to serve, stir in the julienned red peppers and peas, cover, and cook over high heat for an additional 10-20 minutes, until the peppers are slightly softened. Serve plain with naan or with brown rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice. 4 servings.
Feel free to substitute cashew butter for peanut butter in this recipe.
Find out how to make this curry on the stovetop in our blog post.
See the entire post for storage and freezing instructions.
Serving: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 serving (4 sticks base)
saturated fat: 6.1g
Recipe: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photographer: eat sweets
This post was first published on February 20, 2020 and republished on February 15, 2023.