If you love caramelized onions and melty cheese, you’ll love this Skillet French Onion Chicken.
skillet french onion chicken
I’m more of a dark meat girl, so chicken breast recipes have to be tweaked to feel really good. This French Onion Chicken recipe involves cooking thin chicken breast cutlets and topping them with caramelized onions and melted Gruyère cheese. For more chicken breast recipes, try this Spicy Vodka Chicken Parmesan, Bacon Wrapped Air Fryer Chicken Breast, and Spinach and Feta Stuffed Chicken Breast. For recipes, don’t miss my French Onion Soup and French Dip Sandwich.
french onion chicken
- chicken: We need 4 boneless skinless chicken cutlets.If it’s not evenly thin, place it between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound with a meat tenderizer or the bottom of a thick pan. salt When pepper.
- onion: Thinly slice 2 yellow onions.
- sauce: Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar.
- time: Dried or fresh thyme works.
- Gruyères: Grate 3 ounces of Gruyère to make about 1 cup.
- Dredging mixture: Flour, salt and smoked paprika.
- butter: Bake the chicken breast in melted butter.
How to make French Onion Skillet Chicken
- Cook the onions: Heat the oil in a large nonstick (preferably ovenproof) skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, increase heat to medium-high, and stir frequently until browned around edges. If they are sticking together, pour a little water to deglaze the pot.
- Boil: Reduce heat to medium-low, add vinegar, Worcestershire, and thyme, and simmer until onions are cooked through, 20-30 minutes.
is kind. Transfer onion mixture to a bowl, set aside, and wipe skillet.
- Dredging chickens: Whisk together the flour, salt, and paprika in a wide, shallow bowl. Dredge cutlets into mixture and shake off excess.
- Cook the cutlets: Heat the butter in a frying pan over medium heat, add the chicken and heat over medium heat. Cook chicken for 3 minutes, then flip over. Top with caramelized onions and cheese. Cook for 3 more minutes.
- Melt cheese: If the skillet is oven safe, transfer to the oven and bake for 1-2 minutes. If not, cover the skillet and bake until the cheese is bubbly and browned.
Compatibility with French onion chicken
This French Onion chicken breast goes well with so many sides. Some ideas include rice, a large salad, broccolini, asparagus, or roasted radishes.
how to freeze french onion chicken
Leftover chicken can be refrigerated for up to 4 days. You can also freeze chicken breasts for up to 3 months.To reheat, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave.
MORE CHICKEN RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE:
Your comments are helpful!if you tried this health french onion skillet chicken Recipes and other stuff from Skinnytaste, don’t forget rate recipes When leave a comment under.And if you take a picture of it please share it with me Instagram Be able to re-share in stories!
french onion chicken
- Four boneless, Skinless Chicken Cutlets (16-20 oz total)
- 2 tea spoon Olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, above as needed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tea spoon dried thyme or 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 3 ounce gruyere cheese, Coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- ½ cup all purpose flour, or gluten-free flour mix*
- 1 tea spoon kosher salt
- pepper, taste
- ½ tea spoon paprika
- 2 tea spoon Unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chicken soup
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
Add the onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt, then turn up to medium-high and cook, stirring frequently, until just beginning to brown around the edges.
Reduce heat to low and add balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and thyme. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes or until the onions are very tender. Add 1-2 tablespoons of water to polish. Set aside and wipe skillet.
If the chicken isn’t evenly thin, place it between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound it with a pounder or the bottom of a heavy-bottomed pan until thin. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and black pepper and set aside.
In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk together flour, a pinch of salt, and paprika.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and melt 1 teaspoon butter.
Coat 2 chicken cutlets with seasoned flour, shake off excess flour, and arrange side by side.
Grill chicken for 3 minutes or until lightly browned, then flip and grill for an additional 3 minutes. Remove to a plate and repeat with remaining butter and chicken. set aside.
Stir in the broth and 1 tablespoon flour mixture, add it to the skillet and whisk over low heat until thickened, 1 minute. Discard the remaining flour.
Return the chicken to the skillet, top with the onions and cheese, and cover. Bake over low heat until cheese is melted and bubbly, 3 to 5 minutes.
*Only about 1 tablespoon is used in the end. ni reflects usage.
Serving: 1piece, calorie: 335kcal, carbohydrates: 16.5g, protein: 33.5g, obesity: 14.5g, saturated fat: 6g, cholesterol: 111.5mg, sodium: 570.5mg, fiber: 1.5g, sugar: 9.5g