This delicious oatmeal recipe is great for breakfast as well as dinner or lunch.
The concept of good oatmeal may sound strange if you’re used to topping your morning oats with nut butter and fresh fruit. I am sure you will be surprised. Oats (which are, after all, whole grains like farro, brown rice, and wheat berries) pair perfectly with flavorful fillings like avocado, sautéed veggies, and soft-boiled eggs. makes this delicious oatmeal recipe a satisfying and nutritious breakfast, carrying oats beyond the breakfast zone and turning them into a delicious option for quick dinners and lunches.
Even if you’re skeptical, try this delicious oatmeal recipe.It’s easy, healthy, and endlessly customizable (share your favorite toppings in the comments!). We think you will love it!
how to make delicious oatmeal
The best tip for this delicious oatmeal recipe? Use steel cut oats! The creamy and chewy texture is like risotto, and it goes well with toppings such as vegetables and eggs. Even quick-cooking oats or whole oats are too soft and mushy to use in this recipe.
To give the oats a savory and umami depth, cook them with shallots and garlic.
Then stir in oats and garlic, add water and salt. Bring water to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until oats are thick and creamy, 15-20 minutes, or just slightly chewy.
While the oats are cooking, prepare the toppings. Find my favorites below!
Savory Oatmeal Recipe Serving Suggestions
Flavorful oatmeal is topped with poached eggs, sautéed spinach and avocado, with scallions for onion bites and a sprinkling of microgreens to finish. But the topping options don’t end there! Feel free to customize this flavorful oatmeal to your liking. Here are some topping ideas to get you started.
- All kinds of eggs. Top your oats with a poached or fried egg instead of using a soft-boiled egg.
- vegetable protein. Skip the eggs and garnish the bowl with grilled tofu or roasted chickpeas.
- Sautéed vegetables. Use sautéed mushrooms, broccoli, or kale in place of or in addition to spinach.
- roasted vegetables. Add roasted broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and butternut squash in the fall and winter, and roasted cherry tomatoes, zucchini, and bell peppers in the summer.
- Cheese or “cheese”. Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan or crushed feta, or for a dairy-free option, use this vegan Parmesan cheese made with cashews and nutritional yeast. Alternatively, you can top a savory bowl of oatmeal with caramelized onions for a similar umami flavor.
- toasted nuts or seeds. Toasted sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, and/or pepitas add a delicious crunch.
- fresh herbs. Sprinkle with fresh coriander or thyme leaves.
Serve with hot sauce or pesto!
Delicious oatmeal can take a little time to make on a busy morning, but you can prep it ahead of time if you prefer. Store for days. Warm it in the microwave or in the microwave, and top it with your favorite ingredients just before eating.
More Favorite Oats Recipes
If you love these delicious oats, try the following delicious oat recipes.
Or check out this post for more healthy breakfast ideas!
serve 2 up to 3
This easy and delicious oatmeal recipe is a healthy and delicious option for any meal of the day – breakfast, lunch or dinner. We love the toppings listed here, but feel free to experiment. Find more suggestions in the post above!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped shallot, about 1 small
- ¾ cup steel cut oats
- 1 garlic, Grate
- 2¼ cup water
- ½ tea spoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Heat olive oil in a small pan over medium heat. Add the shallots and simmer until tender, about 2 minutes. Add oats and garlic, stir, coat with oil, add water and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes or until oats are thick and creamy and still slightly chewy. Season with salt and pepper.
Remove from heat and divide into bowls. Top with sautéed veggies, eggs, green onions, avocado and microgreens. Serve with a drizzle of hot sauce and a squeeze of lemon juice.