This simple pork recipe for your slow cooker contains no highly processed ingredients like refined brown sugar, corn syrup, or ketchup. Let’s make it.
This is the best pulled pork I’ve had in a long time (I’ve been working on perfecting this recipe for months!), highly processed ingredients such as refined brown sugar and corn syrup. It also does not contain any ingredients, , or ketchup.
According to my husband, it’s so delicious that you don’t even need BBQ sauce. I know pulled pork is good when your favorite BBQ sauce is out of reach. I like the one without it.
Try both methods and decide for yourself. Either way, this is a great dish to serve (and please) to a large group of people.
The best type of meat for slow-cooked pulled pork.
Pork shoulder is the most commonly used cut when making pulled pork. The shoulder includes the front leg and shoulder and may have bone and lots of marbling. Marbling is important as fat is what keeps the meat from drying out during the cooking process.
Pork shoulder is a large cut of meat, so it’s a good idea to ask your grocery store butcher to cut the shoulder into two pieces (3-5 pounds each).there are various names part of pork shoulder Whether you use pork butt, pork shoulder, Boston butt, or picnic roast, it all works just fine.
How long should the pulled pork be cooked in the cooking pot?
The Crock Pot is perfect for pulled pork. Because it needs to be cooked slowly for several hours at a low temperature. I usually take a 4lb pork shoulder over low heat he cooks for 7 hours. However, be aware that overcooking will dry out the pulled pork.
Can I slow cook pulled pork at a high temperature?
Not recommended. Pork is most tender when cooked at a low temperature. Trust me, it’s worth the wait!
what to put on a pulled pork sandwich
A pulled pork sandwich is both a super easy dinner idea and a way to serve a crowd. Using real ingredients in his rolls and toppings also makes for a healthier alternative to all the junk he’s got at his Super Bowl parties and barbecue gatherings.
whole grain bread or bread
Start with homemade or store-bought whole wheat slider bread. Whole wheat brioche is another delicious option. You can also serve pulled pork sandwich style with homemade sandwich bread.
Pulled pork is traditionally served with coleslaw. You can also top your pulled pork sandwich with lettuce, julienned carrots, onions, or arugula. Almost any sandwich or burger filling can be made delicious with pulled pork.
Personally, I like to add veggies that give the sandwiches a bit more crunchiness.
My husband says this recipe is great without the BBQ sauce, but I avoid it because it’s usually full of sugar. Do not go overboard. The bread will become soggy.
Other great sauce ideas are hot sauce, tzatziki, and salsa.
Not everyone agrees when it comes to cheese for pulled pork, but popular choices include cheddar, mozzarella and havarti. Or, if you’re feeling adventurous, try the Gruyère, Cotilla Cheese and Pepper Jack.
How to Make This Pulled Pork Recipe in the Instant Pot
Crockpots and Instant Pots cook differently, but this is one recipe that works well for pressure cooking. Here’s how to make this pork recipe in your Instant Pot.
- Note: This recipe requires an additional 1 cup of liquid. You can use water, but chicken stock gives it more flavor.
- Prepare the seasoning mixture.
- Heat a little olive oil in an Instant Pot on the sauté setting.
- Meanwhile, cut the pork shoulder into quarters.
- Cover each pork piece with the seasoning mixture and drop into the Instant Pot. Sometimes you have to work in batches.
- Brown the pork on both sides and remove.
- Turn off the Instant Pot, add half a cup of water or dashi stock, and deglaze the pot with a wooden spoon.
- Return pork to Instant Pot and add remaining ingredients, including remaining 1/2 cup water or stock. Note: Heat the Instant Pot from the bottom. Add the onions last and place them on top of the pork.
- Cook on high pressure for 60 minutes. When you are done, release naturally for at least 15 minutes.
What to eat with pulled pork
This blog has some side choice options that are perfect for pulled pork in this slow cooker.