Pasta e fagioli is a hearty Italian soup made with pasta, beans and vegetables. Served with crusty bread, it’s vegetarian comfort food at its best.
It is sometimes shortened to pasta e fagioli, pasta fagioli (or pasta fazul). soprano Fan) is a classic Italian soup. Its name literally translates to ‘pasta and beans’, a fragrant tomato soup filled with small pastas, creamy beans and tender vegetables.
Here in America, most people know pasta e fagioli from Olive Garden menus, but try making this dish at home. Combine in one pot. The ingredients are mostly pantry staples. And the combination of pasta, beans, and vegetables makes for a satisfying, stand-alone meal.
If you’re looking for a simple, affordable, delicious dinner to add to your rotation, look no further than Pasta and Fagioli. I’m sharing my go-to recipe below. I hope you love it as much as I do!
Ingredients for the pasta and fagioli recipe
Here’s what you need to make this pasta e fagioli recipe:
- pasta, of course! Ditalini is my top pick. can not find? A slightly elbow-shaped macaroni noodle or another small pasta shape also works well.
- beans – In Italy, pasta e fagioli is traditionally made with fresh cranberry beans. However, it’s hard to find fresh shelled beans where I live, so I go for canned cannellini beans instead.
- extra virgin olive oil – For abundance.
- onions, garlic, carrots, fennel – These fragrant vegetables create a flavorful base for the soup. We love the anise-like flavor of fennel in this soup, but if you can’t find it, or aren’t a fan of fennel, celery is a great substitute!
- tomato paste – Thickens the soup and deepens the tomato flavor.
- fresh rosemary – For a cozy pine flavor.
- diced tomato – Adds a sweet and tangy flavor to soups.
- vegetable soup – Use commercially available ones or create your own.
- Parmesan cheese skin – Yes, just chop up the skin of a block of Parmesan cheese. If you’re a vegetarian, look for a brand made with vegetarian enzymes (BelGioioso makes a great one).
- kale or swiss chard – Pasta e fagioli It’s not a traditional dish, but I love using lots of leafy greens to finish off the soup.
- red pepper flakes – They add a kick of heat.
- and salt and pepper – To make every flavor pop!
Find the full recipe with the measurements below.
How to make pasta and fagioli
This hearty soup recipe is so easy to make!
Fry the vegetables first. Heat olive oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat and add onions, carrots, and fennel. You want the vegetables very tender. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the garlic, tomato paste and rosemary and cook for an additional minute.
Then boil the soup. Add tomatoes, beans, broth, and parmesan crust to pan. Simmer for 20 minutes to blend flavors.
Then stir the pasta. Cook until the pasta is al dente, about 10 minutes more.
Finally, add the kale and red pepper flakes. Cook until the kale is tender. Season and enjoy!
Pasta e Fagioli Serving Suggestions
When ready to eat, place the pasta and fagioli soup in a bowl and top with red pepper flakes, a sprinkling of parsley and freshly grated parmesan cheese, if desired. Also definitely a side of crusty bread to soak up the broth!
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for a day or two, but the longer the pasta is soaked in the broth, the more soaked it will become. If you want to make this recipe a few days in advance or plan to freeze it, you may want to omit the pasta when you first make the soup. In addition, it ensures that the noodles retain their al dente chewiness when eaten.
more favorite soup recipes
If you like this recipe, try one of the following classic soups.
pasta e fagioli
serve Four up to 6
Pasta e fagioli, sometimes shortened to pasta fagioli, is a classic Italian soup made with pasta and beans. My recipe is a comforting, delicious vegetarian dinner. Serve with crusty bread to soak up the flavorful broth.
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, Plus for drizzle
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 2 small fennel bulbs or celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium size carrot, chopped
- 1 tea spoon sea salt, plus taste more
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic, Grate
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tea spoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 cup cooked cannellini beans, Drained and rinsed
- Four cup vegetable soup
- Parmesan cheese skin, option
- 1 cup ditalini pasta, or other small pasta
- 2 large kale or swiss chard leaves, stalks and chops (about 6 cups)
- pinch red pepper flakes
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, fennel, carrots, salt and a few peppercorns and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes or until very tender.
Add garlic, tomato paste, and rosemary and simmer, stirring, 1 minute. Add tomatoes and their juices, beans, broth, and parmesan crust if using. Boil for 20 minutes.
Add pasta and simmer an additional 10 minutes or until al dente. Stir in kale and red pepper flakes and cook until kale is wilted. Season and serve.