When it comes to simple, delicious pizza recipes, nothing beats Margherita Pizza. Our favorite homemade pizza is topped with fresh mozzarella, basil, and a sweet, tangy balsamic sauce for a savory pizza made over and over again.
Here’s why we love our simple and flavorful Margherita Pizza recipe:
There are several variations of Margherita pizza, but the most distinctive ones are tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese and fresh basil. Our Margherita pizza recipe is pretty close to this one. Based on our proud homemade pizza sauce, topped with fresh mozzarella cheese and baked. After removing from the oven, drizzle with a sweet, tangy balsamic sauce and generously sprinkle with fresh basil. And the end result is a really delicious, near-perfect pizza that you really want to eat.
Ingredients needed for this margherita pizza recipe:
- pizza dough– We use our favorite pizza dough recipe for this pizza.
- pizza sauce– This is our favorite pizza sauce recipe.
- fresh mozzarella– Margherita pizza features fresh mozzarella. I got some pre-sliced mozzarella and crumbled it into pieces. You can also use mozzarella pearls. But don’t try to use partial skim here.
- fresh basil– Again, fresh basil is a key ingredient. Do not substitute dried basil.
- balsamic glaze– Balsamic glaze is an incredibly flavorful sauce made with reduced balsamic vinegar. It’s sweet, tangy and really delicious.
How to make Margherita pizza:
- Make pizza dough. You can also use store-bought pizza dough for a super quick and easy weeknight dinner.
- Make pizza sauce. You can use store-bought ones, but you can also make your own! Also, there are only a handful of ingredients in this pizza, so you have to make sure you’re using the best.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. The secret to a really good homemade pizza is a hot oven.
- Roll out the pizza dough. Make two pizzas. Roll out each dough thinly and place on two separate pizza pans or baking sheets.
- Topping pizza. Spread sauce on each pizza. Absorb excess moisture from the mozzarella cheese with a paper towel. Crush the mozzarella cheese into bite-sized pieces and spread evenly over the pizza.
- bake. Bake pizza for 12 to 15 minutes or until dough is golden brown and cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Garnish. As soon as you take the pizza out of the oven, top it with balsamic glaze and fresh basil.
- Serve and enjoy!
Tips and Suggestions:
What cheese should I use for Margherita pizza?
Fresh mozzarella must be used when making margherita pizza. You can buy it in the form of logs or pearls. Either works. Fresh mozzarella has a high moisture content, so be careful not to overdo it. I want to see plenty of sources peeping.
What is Balsamic Glaze?
The balsamic glaze isn’t a traditional margherita pizza ingredient, but it’s a delicious one. Balsamic glaze, also called reduced balsamic, is made by reducing balsamic vinegar. Sometimes sweeteners are added. It is thick and sticky, with a strong balsamic flavor. If you omit this ingredient, you can top your pizza with traditional olive oil and flake salt.
Looking for more delicious pizza recipes?
margherita pizza recipe
Our favorite homemade pizza is topped with fresh mozzarella, basil, and a sweet, tangy balsamic sauce for a savory pizza made over and over again.
Portion: 16 Slice (2 pizzas)
- 1 recipe homemade pizza dough
- 1 recipe homemade pizza sauce
- 12 ounce fresh mozzarella
- 1 a handful fresh basil thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup balsamic glaze
Preheat oven to 475°F. Follow the directions for my homemade pizza dough recipe. Make the sauce while the dough is fermenting.
Follow instructions for pizza sauce.
Roll out 2 pizza crusts from the dough and place on separate baking sheets or pizza pans lined with parchment paper. Spread sauce over each pizza dough.
Drain excess water from fresh mozzarella cheese. Cut into bite-sized pieces by hand and spread evenly over the pizza sauce.
Bake pizza for 12 to 15 minutes or until dough is golden brown and cheese is melted and bubbly.
Immediately sprinkle balsamic sauce and fresh basil on top of each pizza. Slice and enjoy.
Provided by: 1slice | calorie: 310kcal | carbohydrates: 49g | protein: 12g | obesity: 8g | saturated fat: Fourg | Polyunsaturated fat: 1g | Monounsaturated fat: 1g | cholesterol: 17mg | sodium: 840mg | potassium: 17mg | fiber: 1g | sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 151IU | Vitamin C: 0.03mg | calcium: 108mg | iron: 3mg
I am a registered dietitian, mother of four, food enthusiast and a strong advocate of healthy habits. Here you’ll find delicious fruit and vegetable-heavy recipes, tips to help your child eat better and more intuitively, and tons of resources for feeding your family.