This mango salad recipe will become your favorite summer side dish. Made with fresh herbs and a zesty lime dressing, it’s bright and refreshing.
This mango salad recipe is everything you want in a summer side dish. It has a short list with fresh ingredients, just mix it up, it’s ready in 20 minutes and it’s so bright and refreshing.
I love the different textures and flavors of this dish. Mangoes are sweet and slippery, almost creamy when chewed. Accented with crunchy peppers and red onions, and jalapeños for added spiciness. Peanuts add crunch and a zesty lime dressing brings the whole thing together. Plenty of fresh herbs (such as spicy basil and cool mint) round it out.
This mango salad recipe would be a bold alternative to the usual fruit salad at summer gatherings, but it’s a waste not to just save it for special occasions. Try making it as a side dish for weekday dinners. You will love the fresh taste it brings to your meal.
Mango salad recipe how to make
Here’s what you’ll need to make this mango salad recipe:
- mango, of course! Any variety will do, but I especially love the yellow mango, also called ataulfo his mango. It has a creamy texture and a sour, honey-like flavor.
- red pepper and red onion – For crunch.
- jalapeno – For heat measures.
- fresh basil and mint – They make this salad so fragrant, flavorful and fresh. Coriander would be great here too.
- toasted peanuts – Enjoy the nutty richness and crunch. don’t you do peanuts? Toasted cashews make a delicious alternative.
- fresh lime juice – Makes mango salad dressing tangy and bright.
- Tamari or soy sauce – Adds saltiness and flavor to dressings. If you need to make this recipe gluten-free, be sure to use certified gluten-free tamari.
- avocado oil – Adds body and richness to dressings. If you don’t have avocado oil on hand, top up with another neutral oil.
- Honey – Sweetens the dressing. Agave nectar is great vegan he sub.
- ginger – Adds a refreshing, peppery kick to dressings.
- and sea salt – To make every flavor pop!
Check out the full recipe with measurements below.
how to cut mango
I actually have a blog post about how to cut a mango, but the way I use it in this salad is a little different. Instead of using diced mangoes here, I cut the fruit into thin strips that mimic the shape of bell peppers and red onions.
There are two options for how to do this.
- First, peel the mango skin. Carefully remove the vegetable skin with a peeler. Then use a sharp knife to cut the meat from all sides of the hole. You will end up with 2 large and 2 small plates of fruit. Cut carefully into thin strips.
- Do not peel. First, cut the meat from the four sides of the hole. Next, place the fruit skin-side down on a cutting board. Make cuts in the fruit and cut down to the skin, but not to the skin. Remove mango strips by slicing horizontally between fruit and skin.
mango salad recipe tips
- Use ripe mangoes. Green mango, or immature mango, is commonly used. thai mango salad We also have Indian, Southeast Asian, and Thai cuisines. While this recipe is certainly inspired by Thai mango salad, it’s not meant to be a full-fledged version. Ripe mangoes are the best in this mango salad. Keep in mind that depending on where you live, you may not be able to find ripe mangoes at farmers markets or grocery stores. If you can’t, pick up a few immature ones and leave them on the counter for a few days. Once it’s soft and fragrant, it’s time to make the mango salad recipe.
- Please adjust the heat according to the taste. Don’t like spicy food? Just omit the jalapeño! Or, if you want to reduce the spiciness rather than get rid of it, halve the pepper instead of the whole pepper. You can also remove the seeds and membranes from the jalapenos before adding them to your salad.
- Please proceed. This mango salad recipe can be made ahead of time for a potluck or picnic. Wait to add herbs and peanuts until ready to serve. This way the herbs stay lush green and the peanuts stay crunchy.
how to eat mango salad
This mango salad recipe is a great summer side dish! Combine…
Add a scoop of this mango salad to your grain bowl. Pair with black beans or grilled halloumi cheese, rice, avocado and thinly sliced English cucumber. Finish with coriander-lime dressing or a squeeze of lime juice.
See more fresh salad recipes
If you like this mango salad, try one of the following fresh salad recipes.
to service Four up to 6
This mango salad recipe is a bright and refreshing summer side dish. Sweet, juicy mango mixes with crisp red peppers, spicy jalapenos, and fresh herbs. A tangy lime dressing brings the whole thing together.
- 3 2 medium or large ripe mangoes, peeled and sliced into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, Remove the stem, remove the seeds, and slice into thin strips.
- 1/4 medium red onion, sliced very thin
- 1 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cup mixed with fresh basil and mint leaves, keep a little for decoration
- 1/2 cup chopped, toasted peanuts, setting aside a few for garnish
Combine mango, red pepper, onion and jalapeño in a large bowl and mix.
Make the dressing: In a small bowl, combine lime juice, avocado oil, tamari, honey, ginger, and salt.
Pour the dressing over the mango salad and mix. Add herbs and peanuts and mix again. Season to taste, garnish with reserved herbs and peanuts, and serve immediately.