This easy lentil pasta recipe is a satisfying, comforting vegetarian meal.
Pasta lovers, you need this lentil pasta recipe in your winter rotation. It’s budget-friendly, easy to make, and comforting in a way only pasta with red sauce can.
This lentil pasta recipe is full of Italian flavors (Marinara! Balsamic! Parmesan!), but it doesn’t take on any specific Italian pasta dish. Rather, it’s a dish I love to make when I’m craving a hearty, flavorful pasta dinner. please do not Want to go to the store or spend hours in the kitchen. This lentil pasta recipe comes with basic pantry ingredients and will be on the table in about 30 minutes.
Lentil Pasta Recipe Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this lentil pasta recipe:
- lentil, of course! This pasta is packed with nutrients like fiber and vegetable protein. I like to use French green lentils in this recipe. In a pinch, regular green or brown lentils also work here. This recipe makes the texture too soft and mushy.
- pasta – Pappardelle is my noodle of choice. If you can’t find it, tagliatelle is recommended. Or, if you’re vegan and need to use egg-free pasta, substitute fettuccine or linguine. Use your favorite gluten-free pasta!
- onions, carrots, garlic – Creates a flavorful base for sauces.
- cremini mushrooms – Rich, flavorful complexity.
- Tamari and balsamic vinegar ・Brings out the umami of mushrooms.
- extra virgin olive oil ・For sautéing vegetables.
- marinara sauce – I like to make my own with simple ingredients like mashed tomatoes, dried oregano, garlic and red pepper flakes. In case of emergency, commercial products are also available.
- Parmesan cheese ・For pasta toppings. Adds a nutty, salty richness to the final dish. If you’re vegan, use my vegan parmesan cheese instead!
- fresh parsley ・Sprinkle over pasta for a fresh and vivid finish!
- and salt and pepper – To make every flavor pop!
Find the full recipe with the measurements below.
how to make lentil pasta
Lentil pasta recipe is super easy! Here are some tips to make it especially quick and easy.
- Use ready-made marinara. I love making marinara sauce from scratch, but this recipe takes me 30 minutes… not what I want on a busy weeknight. If not, I use the commercial one here, and Rao’s is my favorite brand. It makes this recipe super flavorful and amazingly fast!
- Store cooked lentils in the freezer. They come in handy not only in this lentil pasta recipe, but also in grain bowls and salads. If you don’t have cooked lentils on hand, start this recipe by cooking 1/2 cup dry lentils by following the instructions in this post.
Once these components are ready, the rest of the recipe is easy.
Start boiling the pasta In a large pot of boiling water with salt. When the pasta is al dente, drain and drizzle with a little olive oil to prevent sticking.
Then sauté the vegetables. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Then add the mushrooms, garlic, salt and pepper and simmer for an additional 5-8 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender.
Add remaining sauce ingredients and simmer. Stir in balsamic and tamari, followed by lentils and marinara. Cook, stirring, until sauce is well-mixed and heated through, about 2 minutes.
Finally mix the pasta. Put it in a frying pan and mix it with the sauce. Season to taste…
…and served with parsley and parmesan cheese!
What goes well with lentil pasta
We often enjoy this lentil pasta recipe alone for dinner. It goes great with any side dish. Lean into the comfort food element and serve it with garlic bread or focaccia, or add some color to your plate with a vegetable side dish.
Easier Pasta Recipes
If you like this lentil pasta, try these easy pasta dishes.
This easy lentil pasta recipe is a hearty and delicious vegetarian dinner. Flavorful tomato and lentil sauce envelops chewy al dente pasta.
- Ten ounce pappardelle pasta
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, Plus for drizzle
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 8 ounce cremini mushrooms, stalks and finely chopped
- 3 garlic, chopped
- ½ tea spoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tea spoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tea spoon Tamari
- 1½ cup boiled green lentils or French green lentils, from ½ cup dry
- twenty four ounce marinara sauce
- ½ cup parmesan cheese or vegan parmesan, for serving
- fresh parsley, for decoration
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta to al dente according to the instructions on the packet. Drain and drizzle with olive oil to prevent sticking. set aside.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 to 8 minutes, or until tender. Add mushrooms, garlic, salt and a few grains of pepper and cook for an additional 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally or until mushrooms are tender.
Mix the balsamic and tamari, then add the lentils and marinara. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until sauce is well-mixed and heated through.
Add the pasta to the pan and mix. Arrange on a plate and garnish with Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.