This Kale Caesar Salad features tender vegetables, garlic croutons and a creamy homemade dressing. Enjoy as a flavorful side or as a meal.
If you think traditional Caesar salads are good, just wait until you try this Kale Caesar Salad! It has everything you love about classic Caesar. It’s got crunchy romaine, garlic croutons, a creamy, savory dressing, and parmesan cheese, but we also throw leafy kale into the mix. The dark curly leaves give a fresh and rich feeling to salads.
This Kale Caesar Salad recipe is the perfect side dish for any meal this season (including special occasions!). But if you’re like me, you’ll love this recipe so much you’ll want it centered on your plate. It makes for a healthy lunch.
Kale Caesar Salad Recipe Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this Kale Caesar Salad:
- Kale, of course! I like the texture of the green curly kale here. In a pinch, lacinato kale (aka dinosaur kale) is fine too.
- extra virgin olive oil – Massage into the kale to soften the leaves.
- romaine lettuce – A blend of kale and romaine provides the perfect balance of tender greens and a refreshing crunch.
- croutons – These homemade garlic are delicious, but store-bought ones work well too.
- grated parmesan cheese – Subscribe to Vegan Parm if you like!
- Roasted chickpeas and avocado – Optional, but very tasty. If you want to enjoy it alone for lunch, make this salad a little more substantial.
- dressing – Okay, the classic Caesar salad dressing is made with egg yolks, anchovies, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, Dijon mustard, and Parmesan cheese. It’s a) not vegetarian and b) a little fussy to make at home, so here he has two options. One is Greek yogurt based and is easily stirred by hand. The other is vegan (!) and made in a cashew based blender. , mustard and capers for a zesty flavor to add to your Caesar dressing. You can go either way.
- and salt and pepper – To make every flavor pop!
Find the full recipe with the measurements below.
How to make Kale Caesar Salad
This Kale Caesar Salad recipe is super easy!
Start by making the croutons and dressing. Here is the recipe for homemade croutons. Then choose between Greek Yogurt Caesar Dressing or Vegan Caesar Dressing.Both are quick and easy to make! If you are using roasted chickpeas, make them here as well.
Then massage the kale. Tear the kale leaves off the stalks (discard the stalks or save and mix into pesto or smoothies). Tear or chop the kale leaves into bite-sized pieces and place in a large bowl. Add olive oil and a pinch of salt and use your hands to massage the kale until it softens.
Then add the romaine. Mix with kale. Add half of the dressing and mix again.
Transfer salad to a serving dish. Top with croutons and parmesan cheese. Drizzle with remaining dressing and garnish with chickpeas and avocado, if desired. Sprinkle with black pepper if desired and enjoy!
Recommended ways to eat Kale Caesar Salad
Topped with avocado and chickpeas, this Kale Caesar Salad is a great healthy lunch. This is also a side dish that everyone can enjoy. Serve alongside your favorite protein, veggie burger, or homemade pizza, or pair with any of these comforting classics.
If you want to go ahead, you can make the dressing and croutons up to two days in advance and massage the kale.Keep the kale and dressing in the refrigerator and the croutons in an airtight container at room temperature until serving. . Finish the salad just before serving.
more favorite salad recipes
If you like this Kale Caesar Salad, try these delicious salad recipes.
kale caesar salad
serve Four up to 6
Cut kale into bite-sized pieces and place in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Massage the leaves with your hands until they wilt.
Add romaine lettuce and mix. Drizzle with half the dressing and mix again.
Transfer to a serving bowl and top with croutons and Parmesan cheese. Add dressing, roasted chickpeas, and avocado, if desired, and serve.