Each year, I love to share 1-2 absolutely spectacular cake recipes, and not surprisingly, they’ve become some of the most popular dessert recipes with AK’s readers. I usually test and perfect new cakes around Valentine’s Day, but these incredible cake recipes are truly perfect for any occasion.
I think it all started in 2018 with the now famous Paleo Chocolate Cake with Paleo Chocolate Frosting. I really couldn’t believe how delicious this cake was, especially since it was gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free and Paleo-friendly! We have created an amazing cake recipe for you.
Many of these cake recipes are gluten and grain free. Because I fell in love with the texture and natural sweetness that the almond, coconut, and oat flours give these cakes. Because there are often tips on how to make them dairy-free and vegan! There is cake for everyone on this list.
Tips for frosting the cake
Creating the perfect layer of frosting on cakes, especially round layered cakes, can be intimidating. Check out all of these tips and tricks for beautifully frosting cakes.
- Allow cake layers to cool completely. Allow the cake layers to cool completely before frosting to prevent the frosting from soaking into the cake.
- Do the clam coat first. Frost the layers as you normally would, coating the outside of the cake with a very thin layer of frosting. This is to ensure that the crumbs stick to this layer of frosting and not the main layer.
- Add drizzle? For example, if you add a drizzle of chocolate on top of the frosting layer, place the cake in the refrigerator after frosting but before adding the drizzle.
The perfect freezer-friendly dessert
That’s right, these cake recipes can be frosted or thawed and frozen for up to two months. For best results, we recommend freezing the cake in individual layers rather than freezing.
- Once the cake layers have cooled, simply wrap each layer in plastic wrap and aluminum foil.
- Place the cake in a zip freezer bag.
- When you’re ready to serve, thaw the cake layers in the refrigerator overnight, allowing the cake to come to room temperature before serving.
our favorite cake baking tool
Check here for kitchen essentials!
GF = indicates gluten free. Don’t forget to check the full recipe for alternative recommendations.
autumn winter cake
Blow Yer Mind Pumpkin Cake Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting GF
One Bowl Gluten Free Gingerbread Snack Cake GF
brown butter apple coffee cake
Spiced Zucchini Sweet Potato Cake Cream Cheese Frosting GF
Vegan Pumpkin Mug Cake GF
Melt-in-the-mouth brown butter pumpkin coffee cake and pecan gingersnap cookie streusel
spring summer cake
The Best Healthy Carrot Cake You’ve Ever Had GF
Chocolate zucchini cake GF
Orange Zucchini Cake with Orange Frosting GF
Almond Lemon Raspberry Poppy Seed Cake GF
Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Cake with Lemon Frosting GF
Vanilla Beans Cream Cheese Frosting GF Almond Flour Strawberry Shortcake Cake
Orange Carrot Zucchini Cake with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
brown butter blueberry coffee cake
all about chocolate cake
Inside Out Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake GF
Best Paleo Chocolate Cake with Paleo Chocolate Frosting GF
Grain Free Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake GF
Vegan Dark Chocolate Tofu Cheesecake Peanut Butter Pretzel Crust GF
Whole Wheat Brown Butter Banana Bundt Cake with Dark Chocolate
Best Vegan Avocado Chocolate Birthday Cake Ever with Vegan Chocolate Ganache
A unique take on a traditional cake
Healthy Birthday Cake GF
Baby’s First Healthy Smash Cake GF
Vegan Banana Bread Mug Cake GF
Damn Good Peanut Butter Banana Cake GF
Homemade Funfetti Yellow Birthday Cake
If you make any of these cake recipes, be sure to leave a comment and a rating.