Here’s an easy honey whole wheat sandwich bread recipe that you can make in your bread machine (or skip the machine and make by hand).
It’s no secret that I’ve been working for months on perfecting a recipe for Honey Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread. I was looking for recipes that didn’t contain any ingredients.
we love honey whole wheat bread big harvestAnd if it can be made with just 5 simple ingredients (freshly ground whole grains, water, honey, salt and yeast), so can I!
Wow! Your recipe has it all! First, of course, it’s delicious. The density is perfect and my favorite part is that it’s extremely low in sodium.
Perfect Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread in Bread Machine
So, after months of experimenting, I’m thrilled to finally share my homemade bread recipe. I have learned that things are not always “perfect”.
If you don’t weigh your ingredients and instead just weigh them like I do, or if you live in an area where the humidity can change from time to time…then expect to be occasionally surprised by how your bread turns out. please.
However, I learned one valuable trick from a blog reader. A few times I found mine looking too wet and sticky, so I sprinkled flour a few times to bring things back together before baking began.
I also want to share that this particular recipe makes bread that is on the larger side, and I like it because I don’t have to replenish my bread supply every two days. Because of its large size, it has a light crust, which is also a plus in my book.
Serve warm bread with homemade soup or make a delicious whole wheat sandwich!
Simple Tricks for Perfect Homemade Whole Wheat Bread
When the honey whole wheat bread is baked, let it rest for a few minutes until it is cool to the touch.Then remove the bread from the mold and wrap it completely in a clean cotton or linen tea towel. Place the wrapped bread on a rack to cool.
The towel is breathable and keeps the crust from becoming mushy while preventing the moisture in the bread from being drawn outdoors.
Once the bread has cooled completely, place it in a plastic bag to keep the crust softer longer.
Can I make this Honey Whole Grain Sandwich Bread in an oven instead of a bread machine?
yes this recipe timeoney Whole-grain bread Works in the oven too. Note that this recipe is for 2 pounds of bread, so you’ll need a large loaf (or divide it into 2 smaller loaf pans).
The first option is to use a bread maker to mix and let the dough rise, then take it out and bake it in the oven. requires some adjustments.
- Add boiling water, a packet of regular active dry yeast (2¼ teaspoons), and 1 teaspoon of honey to a large bowl or electric mixer.
- Tip: Put a little oil in the measuring spoon before the honey to prevent sticking.
- Let the mixture rest until the yeast activates (10-15 minutes).
- Stir in remaining honey, oil and salt.
- Add flour 1 cup at a time, mixing each one thoroughly before adding the next. The dough should be soft and not too sticky.
- If you didn’t measure the flour, each person’s scooping amount may vary.
- Knead the dough with a dough hook or by hand for 7-12 minutes or until springy. You can tell if the dough is sufficiently kneaded by poking it. The kneading is complete when the dough immediately bounces back.
- Cover dough with a clean towel to trap heat and prevent drying.Let dough rise until doubled (1-3 hours).
- Punch out the dough and shape the bread. Put the dough into the oiled frying pan, cover it again and let it rise until it doubles in size.
- Bake Honey Whole Wheat Bread at 375 F for about 30 minutes or until crust is browned.
- Note: The baking time will vary depending on the size of the bread and the oven, so adjust according to your taste.
Why is yeast not activated in homemade bread?
Old or inactive yeast: Yeast is alive and becomes inactive under certain conditions. Honey or sugar of any kind can help rejuvenate it. Once opened, a container of yeast will only last about 4 months if kept in a cool environment such as a refrigerator. High temperatures can hasten yeast inactivation.
water temperature: The water should be between 105 and 115 degrees Fahrenheit and warm enough to comfortably wash your hands.
Incorrectly added to the bread machine: most bread machines very Specific instructions on how to add yeast. A general rule is to keep the yeast dry. If your bread machine doesn’t have a yeast compartment, dig a small hole in the flour and see if that helps keep the yeast from activating too quickly in the cycle.
Couldn’t wait: If you are making this recipe by hand, wait until the yeast is fully activated before adding the other ingredients.
If you enjoyed this Honey Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread, or would like to share your bread making tips or recipes, drop us a line in the comments below.