Absolutely creamy and chocolaty, this simple homemade hot chocolate is made with quality ingredients, so it’s perfectly decadent without being overly sweet.
Why You’ll Love Homemade Hot Chocolate
Hot chocolate is the quintessential winter drink. After a long day in the cold, nothing warms you up like a mug of chocolatey goodness. Lately, after the cold weather has set in and a regular influx of requests for hot chocolate, I decided it was time to find healthier ways to enjoy my favorite winter treats with ingredients I always had on hand. thought.
After trial and error, we finally found a winner. Thick, creamy and just the right sweetness. Packets of powder are no longer enough.
- milk– I used 1%, but almond or coconut milk will work too.
- cream– This really adds to the creamy factor, but additional milk can be used if desired.
- cocoa powder– I used regular cocoa powder. The Dutch process yields a richer chocolate flavor.
- Maple syrup– Granulated sugar or agave will also work in this recipe.
- chocolate chips– We used the semi-suite. If using dark or milk chocolate, you may need to adjust the sweetness accordingly.
- vanilla extract– Optional, but delicious! Or substitute peppermint extract for delicious peppermint hot chocolate.
How to make homemade hot chocolate
- Place milk, cocoa powder, and maple syrup in a small saucepan. Place over medium heat and whisk until just cooked through, bubbles starting to form around the edges of the pan.
- Remove from heat. Add chocolate chips and vanilla. Whisk until the chocolate melts.
- Enjoy it with toppings such as marshmallows, whipped cream, and crushed candies!!
How to store leftovers:
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. Reheat in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Try our other chocolate recipes:
- 3 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Four tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 tea spoon vanilla extract
Combine milk, heavy cream, cocoa powder, and maple syrup in a small saucepan. Place over medium heat and whisk frequently until warm.
Add chocolate chips and vanilla. Whisk until the chocolate is melted and creamy. Remove from heat and let it vanilla. Enjoy your meal while it’s warm.
calorie: 296kcal | | carbohydrate: 28g | | protein: 6g | | thick: 19g | | saturated fat: 12g | | Polyunsaturated fat: 1g | | Monounsaturated fat: Fourg | | cholesterol: 48mg | | sodium: 63mg | | potassium: 370mg | | fiber: 1g | | sugar: twenty fourg | | Vitamin A: 833IU | | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | | calcium: 218mg | | iron: 1mg
I am a registered dietitian, mother of four, a food lover and a strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you’ll find delicious, fruit- and veg-rich recipes, tips to help your kids eat better and more intuitively, and tons of resources to feed your family.
Learn more about Natalie