A few years ago I learned about the concept of a “happiness list”. It required writing down a list of things you like. Even if only slightly One thing – it’s off your happiness list every day. For me, that includes drinking a latte or taking a walk on the beach.Or you can sit down and drink a square of dark chocolate. Or stop hugging your husband or daughter for a minute or two in the middle of a busy day. It’s a concept that I really love and have been using in my daily life ever since. I’m not perfect by any means, but I have a positive impact on my life.
One of the things that is high on my happiness list is baking bread. This is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time, but I haven’t put much time into it in the last few years. Bread making is not only incredibly nostalgic for me, as I used to do it regularly with my late grandma. But I also find it peaceful and therapeutic. I have since introduced my daughter to the act and it is now one of our own favorite activities to do together. For me, this simple act has so many meanings and emotions attached to it. And since we finished our kitchen, it’s gotten sweeter and sweeter.
Since today is National Banana Bread Day, I thought I’d share my favorite healthy banana bread recipe. I’ve shared a few times, and I thought it would be convenient to have a permanent home so I could return whenever I needed to.
This recipe is Cookie & Kateis all yum with less guilt (I don’t think any of us should feel guilty about food – have fun, my friend).
I’d love to know, what’s on your happiness list? Mine is constantly evolving just like mine – I love it.
healthy banana bread recipe
- 1/3 cup (75 grams) melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup (155 grams) maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup ripe bananas, mashed (about 2½ medium bananas or 2 large bananas) (225 g)
- ¼ cup (56 grams) water or milk of your choice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, more added to swirl on top
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour (56 grams)
- Optional: 1/2 cup add-ins (nuts, chocolate chips, raisins, etc.)
- Grease a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan and preheat oven to 325ºF (165ºC).
- Add the oil and syrup to a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add eggs and mix well. Then add the mashed bananas and milk.
- Mix baking soda, vanilla, salt and cinnamon.
- Switch to a large spoon and stir until the flour is incorporated. Don’t worry about getting stuck.
- Pour into buttered bread molds and lightly sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until clean with a toothpick stuck in the center.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Head over here For additional notes, replacements, and adaptations.