Of course, this ham and broccoli casserole au gratin is a riff on my all-time favorite ham and cauliflower casserole au gratin! And whenever you’re lucky enough to have leftover ham, it’s a great way to use one of these cheesy ham casseroles!
If you like cheesy broccoli and ham, you’ll love this new recipe! Ham and broccoli casserole au gratin. Here’s another recipe whose ideas from our readers have inspired new versions of our favorite recipes on the site. This is a delightful new variation on the ham and cauliflower casserole au his gratin!
I think anyone who likes broccoli will surely enjoy trying this out. I wish I had noted the name of the reader on social media who commented that she always uses broccoli in her ham and cauliflower recipes. Of course, my preference for broccoli + cheese is pretty detailed on the blog, so of course I loved the idea of a cheesy casserole with ham and broccoli.
When Kara and I tested the recipe as a ham and broccoli casserole, with only minor modifications, it was a total winner! It’s the perfect way to use it.
And I happily ate up all the leftovers, so I can report that this one reheats beautifully too.
What are the ingredients needed for this recipe?
(THIS IS A LIST OF INGREDIENTS ONLY. SCROLL DOWN TO SEE THE FULL PRINTABLE RECIPES OR JUMP TO RECIPE LINK AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE TO GO DIRECTLY TO THE FULL RECIPES.) increase.)
- broccoli flower
- salt for boiling broccoli
- Cream cheese
- Sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt if desired)
- Coarsely grated parmesan cheese
- grated sharp cheddar cheese
- green onion
- diced ham
- black pepper to taste
Can I make a ham and broccoli casserole with frozen broccoli?
I’m not a big fan of frozen broccoli, so I use fresh, raw broccoli in this recipe. If you don’t like it, give it a try.
Is this ham and broccoli casserole low in carbs?
As long as you carefully purchase sugar-free ham, this recipe is suitable for a low-carb or keto diet.
What other cheeses can I use in my ham and broccoli casserole?
I love the sharp cheddar parmesan combo in my gratin recipe. However, this recipe allows you to use any flavorful cheese that melts well.
Tasty ideas with leftover ham:
For even more ideas for using leftover ham, check out our low carb and keto leftover ham recipes.
How to make a ham and broccoli casserole au gratin:
(This is just a summary of the recipe steps. Scroll down for the full printable recipe, or use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page to go directly to the full recipe. increase.)
- Remove cream cheese from package and begin to soften in a container large enough to hold all of the sauce ingredients.
- Cut enough broccoli to make 6 cups of broccoli flowers. (Pictured is a giant measuring cup!)
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, add the broccoli, and cook for 3 minutes or a little less.
- After 3 minutes, immediately discard the broccoli in a colander over the sink and drain well.
- Once the cream cheese is soft, mix in the sour cream, 2 tablespoons coarsely grated Parmesan, 1 cup sharp cheddar, and sliced green onions. (Blogger failed, failed to take a photo.)
- Drain the broccoli well and put it in a bowl. (If very damp, dab the paper towel dry.)
- Gently stir sauce mixture into broccoli.
- Add the ham cubes and gently mix the broccoli and sauce together.
- Place mixture in an 8-inch x 12-inch casserole dish and season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Sprinkle the remaining sharp cheddar and coarsely grated parmesan over the casserole.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned.
- This reheated well and I loved eating leftovers for an easy low carb dinner!
- If you like to prepare meals for the weekend, we recommend using a larger plate and doubling the recipe.
Try More Cheesy Broccoli:
Weekend Meal Prep:
This recipe has been added to the Weekend Meal Prep category to help you find recipes that you can prepare or cook on the weekend and eat on the weekday!
6 cups (or a little more) broccoli flowers (about 1 lb after trimming)
1/2 teaspoon broccoli water salt
8 oz.softened cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream (or use plain Greek yogurt if you prefer)
2 T + 2 T coarsely grated parmesan cheese
1 cup + 1/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
2 cups diced ham (I used a little more than 2 cups of Costco prosciutto steak)
black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray an 8-inch by 12-inch (or similar size) casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Remove the cream cheese from the refrigerator and place it in a bowl or measuring cup large enough to hold all the sauce ingredients.
- Soften the cream cheese on the counter while you prepare the other ingredients. You can partially soften cream cheese in the microwave by heating it in the microwave for 20 seconds at a time and stirring until it reaches the desired softness.
- Cut enough broccoli to make 6 cups of broccoli flowers.
- Boil water in a pot, add salt, add broccoli, reduce heat, and boil for about 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, immediately place the broccoli in a colander over the sink and drain well.
- Once the cream cheese is soft, mix in the sour cream, 2 tablespoons coarsely grated Parmesan, 1 cup sharp cheddar, and sliced green onions.
- Drain the broccoli well and put it in a bowl. (If the broccoli is very damp, pat it dry with a paper towel.)
- Gently stir the sauce mixture over the broccoli, making sure all the broccoli pieces are coated with the sauce.
- Add the ham cubes to the bowl and gently stir in the broccoli and sauce.
- Place the broccoli/cheese/ham mixture in an 8-inch x 12-inch casserole dish and season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup sharp cheddar and 2 T coarsely grated parmesan over casserole.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts Table:
Amount Per Serving:
calorie: 318Total Fat: 23gsaturated fat: 12gUnsaturated fat: 7.4gcholesterol: 90mgsodium: 906mgcarbohydrates: 11gfiber: 2.5gsugar: 4.2gprotein: 19g
The Recipe Plug-In I use automatically calculates nutritional information. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy as many variables affect the calculations.
Low Carb / Low Glycemic / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Ham and broccoli casserole au gratin is the perfect dish for low carb and keto diet plans. This is suitable for any stage of the original South Beach diet, using lean hams and low-fat cheeses and other dairy products, and slightly reducing the use of cream cheese or replacing it with more SBD-friendly options. can be made into something
Find more recipes like this:
For more recipes like this, see Casserole Recipes. Use the diet type index to find recipes that are suitable for specific meal plans.I also recommend following Karin’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on facebook, on Instagram, on TikTokagain on youtube To see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical notes for this recipe:
This delicious cheese ham and broccoli casserole was first posted in 2019. Details were last updated in 2023.
The Amazon Services LLC Associate Program is an affiliate promotion program designed to provide a means to earn commissions by linking to Amazon.co.jp and affiliate sites. As an Amazon Associate, I earn income from qualifying purchases.