The Grilled Flat Iron Steak with Chimichurri Sauce is a new twist on grilled steak and I loved it for a delicious dinner. If you’ve never tried chimichurri steak, try this herb-heavy beef sauce. See tips if you don’t want to use coriander.
Grilled flat iron steak with chimichurri sauce Great to make on holiday weekends or anytime you feel like cooking on the grill. Served in a beefy herb sauce, this delicious steak is sure to impress your friends and family.
It was my butcher who first suggested I try a cut of beef called flat iron steak, and he said I would love it. At first, I thought this was another name for flank steak, but my butcher told me that this beef doesn’t need to be marinated and is best grilled, so I was intrigued. And I’ve been making this teppanyaki steak for years.
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
(This is just a list of ingredients, scroll down to see the full printable recipe, or use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page to go directly to the full recipe. )
What is a Flatiron Steak?
of flat iron steak It is a long strip of meat and is sometimes called a top blade steak because it is obtained from the top of a blade chuck roast. Underneath the label on the meat I bought (before this cut was well known) it said: “I just bought a great new steak!” Flat irons are cut from sections of large roasts using a new cutting method. It’s so tender, you won’t find a more tender steak than tenderloin. “
Are Flat Iron Steaks Expensive?
I discovered this meat when it wasn’t as well known or popular as it is now, but it’s still a great bargain compared to most grillable steaks.
What is Chimichurri Sauce?
chimichurri sauce is a South American beef seasoning based on fresh herbs, garlic, lemon juice or vinegar, sometimes called Argentinean pesto.
What if I don’t like coriander?
Green herb sauce with lots of cilantro may not be to your liking. However, chimichurri sauce can be made to your liking, so use your favorite herbs. You can substitute mint or basil for the coriander, or use all the parsley if you prefer.
What did you use for the chimichurri sauce?
We started with a generous amount of chopped coriander and chopped flat leaf parsley. Jake then chopped up a few tablespoons of finely chopped fresh garlic. This sauce goes well with any kind of grilled meat, but is best known for being drizzled over beef.
What if I don’t have an outdoor grill?
Want more delicious ideas for cooking steaks on the grill?
If you love delicious steaks cooked on the grill, check out our collection of great ideas for keto steak recipes on the web.
How to make flat iron steak with chimichurri sauce:
(This is just an overview of the recipe steps. Scroll down to see the full printable recipe, or use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page to go directly to the full recipe. can.)
- You can tell Jake has great chopping skills by looking at these beautifully carved herbs and garlic, food processor (affiliate link) make chimichurri sauce.
- I mixed the ingredients for the sauce together and allowed the flavors to blend as the meat cooked.
- i used Szeged steak club (affiliate link) Season your steak, but my homemade Montreal steak seasoning would be great too.
- Let the steaks come to room temperature while the grill is preheating.
- Cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of the meat and your preferred doneness, but mine took less than 12 minutes on medium rare.
- If you have it, I recommend using it Instant reading meat thermometer (affiliate link) Check the temperature of the meat on the grill. Recommended temperatures are: Rare (cold red center) 125 °F/51 °C, Medium Rare (warm red center) 135 °F/54 °C, Medium (rosy pink center) 145 °C 62 C.
- Be sure to let the meat rest for a few minutes before cutting.
- Slice flat iron steak across the grain and serve with chimichurri sauce.
Delicious low-carb meals include Grilled Flatiron Steak with Chimichurri Sauce, Grilled Zucchini, Herb Marinated Fresh Mozzarella, Sugar Snap Pea Salad, Spinach Bacon and Feta Salad, and Cucumber Salad with Balsamic Dressing. Served.
More beef for dinner:
1 1/2-pound pieces flatiron steak
1T Steak Love
1/2 cup finely chopped coriander leaves (about 1 cup before chopping)
1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves (about 1 cup before chopping)
2 T garlic minced
3T fresh lemon juice
2 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp Aleppo pepper flakes (see notes)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup olive oil
- Remove steaks from refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cooking, scrape with steak scraper, and allow to come to room temperature.
- Wash the coriander and parsley leaves and dry them with paper towels or spin them in a salad spinner to dry them.
- Finely chop the cilantro, parsley, and garlic by hand or in a steel blade food processor.
- Put the ingredients in a bowl, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, aleppo pepper (affiliate link) and cumin and stir.
- Then add olive oil and stir until the mixture is well blended and let it sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before eating.
- To cook the steak, preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium-high heat. (At that temperature, you can only hold your hand there for a few seconds.)
- Place the steak on the grill at an angle. After about 3-4 minutes, or when you start to see nice brown marks, turn 45 degrees and bake the first side for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Flip the steak and sear the other side until the meat is done to your liking.
- I grilled my steak medium rare for just under 12 minutes total, but the cooking time will vary depending on the heat of the grill, the temperature of the meat, and even the weather.
- If you have it, I recommend using it Instant reading meat thermometer (affiliate link) Check the temperature of the meat on the grill. Recommended temperatures are: Rare (cold red center) 125 °F/51 °C, Medium Rare (warm red center) 135 °F/54 °C, Medium (rosy pink center) 145 °C 62 ℃
- When the meat is done to your liking, remove it from the grill, let it rest for 5 minutes, and slice thinly across the grain.
- Serve hot with a spoonful of chimichurri sauce on top or on the side.
if you don’t have aleppo pepper (affiliate link), use a little cayenne pepper.
This recipe was made by Karin. Grilling instructions are provided on the meat packaging, and the chimichurri sauce was inspired by many other recipes on the web.
Nutrition Facts Table:
Amount Per Serving:
calorie: 645Total Fat: 50 gramssaturated fat: 13gTrans fat: 1gUnsaturated fat: 33gcholesterol: 145mgsodium: 145mgcarbohydrates: 4gfiber: 1gsugar: 1gprotein: 44g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by the recipe plugin I use. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy as many variables affect the calculation.
Low Carb / Low Glycemic / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Grilled Flat Iron Steak with Chimichurri Sauce is the perfect entree for any stage of the low-carb, keto, or original South Beach diet. The South Beach Diet recommends choosing meats with 10% or less fat. I wouldn’t worry about that with any other diet.
Find more recipes like this:
Use our grill recipes to find more recipes like this. Use our diet type index to find more recipes for your specific meal plan. You might also want to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on facebook, on Instagram, on TikTokagain on youtube See all the great recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical notes for this recipe:
This recipe was first posted in 2007 when flat iron steak was new to the grilling scene, and I’ve made it many times since. Updated in 2013 with better pictures and updated again in 2023 with more information.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn commissions by linking to Amazon.com and related sites. As an Amazon Associate, I earn money by purchasing eligible products.