Welcome to Grilled Cheese 101! Read on to learn how to make every grilled cheese sandwich that’s crispy on the outside, golden and melty on the inside.
If you want to learn how to make a grilled cheese sandwich, Jack’s is for you. He makes it so often that we have a dedicated grilled cheese pan in our kitchen. In one day, he performed one million grilled cheese experiments.Mayonnaise on bread or softened butter? American cheese or Swiss?– all of which helped him figure out what, in our opinion, is the best grilled cheese recipe. This grilled cheese is crunchy and golden on the outside and melts in the middle (can you see the cheese rising?!). A serving of tomato soup is optional, but highly recommended.
Baked Cheese Recipe Ingredients
Ready to master this grilled cheese recipe?
- delicious bread – My preferred type of bread for this recipe is sourdough. I highly recommend you give it a try, but if you’re a grilled cheese purist or don’t have sourdough on hand, try it. Regular white bread also works here.
- mayonnaise ・On the outside of the bread! It helps to cook with a crisp, beautifully browned appearance.
- dijon mustard – Not entirely traditional, but very tasty and adds a subtle tangy flavor.
- butter – For pots.
- and cheese, of course! I love combining two cheeses to give my sandwiches a richer flavor. which one is the best? Keep reading!
What cheese is best for grilled cheese?
In all honesty, you can make a great grilled cheese sandwich with any kind of melting cheese, from mozzarella to havarti to monterey jack and pepper jack. However, I have a few favorites and I think they make this recipe stand out.
- sharp cheddar – For me, grilled cheese is a must! Nothing beats its sharp, nutty flavor. It also dissolves nicely. Below he likes to pair with any of the two cheeses.
- Gruyères or raclette – Both of these cheeses are types of Alpine-style Swiss cheese. They’re unrivaled melters, each with a salty and nutty flavor and a touch of funk. Paired with cheddar, you’ll have a sandwich that has the gooey nostalgia of classic grilled cheese yet is a little more complex. . Between the two, I couldn’t pick a favorite. Choose what’s readily available at the grocery store!
Find the full recipe with the measurements below.
How to Make a Grilled Cheese Sandwich (My Best Tip!)
Here’s an easy way to make a grilled cheese sandwich.
- Spread mayonnaise on the outside of the bread. Not butter! Mayonnaise helps the bread brown very well in the skillet and creates an appetizing crunch when you bite into the sandwich. Spread Dijon mustard on the inside of one slice of bread.
- Add grated cheese. Grated cheese melts more evenly than sliced cheese. (Of course, if you use a softer type of cheese such as brie, you’ll need to slice it. For each type of cheese. Place another slice of bread on top with the mayonnaise side up!
- Choose the right frying pan. We like to use cast iron because it gives a gorgeous brown color to the outside of the sandwich.
- Go low and slow. Do not raise heat above medium-low. If the skillet is too hot, the bread will burn before the cheese melts.
- Cover the pot. Add enough butter to coat the bottom of the pan. Then add your sandwiches and cover the skillet. The lid traps steam in the pan and helps the cheese melt as the bread is toasted.Bake for 2 to 3 minutes or until the bread is golden brown. Flip, cover, and bake the second side.
- Adjust heat as needed. If the bread browns too quickly, turn it down.
When the bread is browned on both sides and the sandwich is full of melted cheese, remove it from the pan. Slice (triangle!) and serve!
I love this recipe as written, but if you want to change it, hey! Here are some ideas to get you started.
- change the cheese, clearly! Swap the Gruyère for Fontina or Gouda, use 100% cheddar, or add some funk with a sprinkling of blue cheese. As I said above, any good melter works!
- Add vegetables. Throw in some lightly sautéed spinach, caramelized onions, chopped steamed broccoli, roasted red peppers, or roasted tomatoes.
- Add fruit. For a truly gourmet grilled cheese sandwich, mix Gruyère and Brie cheeses and garnish with thinly sliced apple or fig jam.
- Pickles please! Layer with pickled red onions, pickled radishes, or pickled jalapenos for a fun pop of flavor.
- I’m impertinent. Substitute your favorite sauce for mustard! For example, pesto goes great with a mozzarella and provolone sandwich.
Let us know what variations you’ve tried!
MORE FAVORITE CHEESE RECIPES
If you love learning how to make the perfect grilled cheese sandwich, try one of these cheesy recipes.
Learn how to make the best grilled cheese sandwich! This easy recipe yields baked cheese that is crispy, golden on the outside and melty and cheesy on the inside. Delicious with tomato soup!
- 2 slice bread made from sourdough
- dijon mustard
- 1 to 2 ounce grated sharp cheddar cheese, depending on bread size
- 1 to 2 ounce grated gruyere or raclette cheese, depending on bread size
- butter, for pots
Place the bread slices on a cutting board and spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on top. Flip one side of the bread and spread Dijon mustard on the other side. Layer the cheddar and gruyere or raclette cheese on top of the mustard and place the other piece of bread on top of the cheese, mayonnaise side down.
Heat a nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium-low heat and melt enough butter to coat the bottom of the skillet. Place sandwiches in pan, cover, and bake for 2 to 3 minutes or until bread slices underneath are golden brown and crisp. Flip over, remove lid, and bake on the other side until golden brown and cheese is melted, 1 to 3 minutes. If the bread browns too much before the cheese is completely melted, reduce the heat.
Slice and serve.