Greek turkey meatballs with grated zucchini are delicious served over rice with tzatziki sauce (cucumber yogurt sauce), with chickpea salad, or as an appetizer. Perfect for meal prep!
greek turkey meatballs
We love Greek and Mediterranean food and make it every chance we get. I made it with lots of minced turkey and shredded zucchini and it was moist and flavorful! These Greek turkey meatballs, also known as keftedes, are traditionally made with lamb or beef. Try the cucumber salad, naked Greek turkey feta burger, and chicken kebab salad.
What are Greek turkey meatballs made of?
These healthy ground meatballs are filled with popular Greek ingredients for maximum flavor.
- Ground Turkey: lean turkey meat 93%
- vegetable: grated zucchini, red onion
- binder: Whole grain bread, seasoned whole grain bread crumbs, and eggs help these meatballs stick together.
- Herbs, seasonings and fragrances: fresh oregano, parsley, spearmint, salt, pepper and garlic
How to make Greek turkey meatballs
I pan-fried these meatballs, but they’re also great on the grill.The meatballs are a little delicate because of the moisture the zucchini adds. They don’t retain their round shape, so they look more like mini patties (that shape also helps them cook in the center). .
How to cook and freeze meatballs
This Greek Turkey Meatballs Recipe is great for pre-meals. Bowls are great for meatballs. You can also freeze pre-cooked meatballs for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight, then thaw in the microwave until warm.
What to Serve with Greek Turkey Meatballs
My favorite sauce for Greek turkey meatballs is healthy tzatziki made with Greek yogurt. Here are some ideas for serving these meatballs and sauces.
- Greek Turkey Meatball Bowl: Garnish with cucumbers, tomatoes, feta cheese and kalamata olives and serve with rice or orzo.
- Pita: Make a sandwich and add tomato and lettuce for a healthy gyro.
- As main: Side dish ideas include roasted cauliflower, Greek mac and cheese, or Mediterranean bean salad.
- As an appetizer: Add a drop of tzatziki to each meatball.
- Add to Salad: Put the meatballs on the Greek salad.
Variations of Greek turkey meatballs:
- meat: Swap the turkey for ground meat.
- Herbs: Replace any of the herbs with dill, basil, or marjoram.
- spices: Add crushed red pepper to make it spicy.
- vegetable: Grate the grated zucchini for the chopped spinach, squeeze out all the liquid and defrost.
MORE MEATBALL RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE:
greek turkey meatballs
Serve Greek turkey meatballs drizzled with tzatziki sauce over rice, with chickpea salad, or as an appetizer. It’s also great for appetizer prep lunches.
- 1.25 lb lean turkey meat 93%
- 1 cup grated zucchini, Squeeze the liquid well
- 2 slice Whole-grain bread, or gluten-free bread
- 1/4 cup Seasoned Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs, or gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1 big egg
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, Grate (I used a mini food processor)
- 2 tablespoon fresh oregano, Chopped (less if dry)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh spearmint, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- olive oil cooking spray
Wet the bread with water and squeeze out the excess. Chop into small pieces and place in a large bowl.
Combine turkey meat, eggs, zucchini, bread crumbs, garlic, onions, mint, parsley, oregano, salt, and pepper.
Using a 1/4 cup measure, size each meatball into 1/4 cup and flatten slightly into patties. For best results, refrigerate before cooking to keep in shape.
For the skillet: Spray a large nonstick skillet with olive oil and cook over very low heat until fully cooked, flipping on both sides for about 5-6 minutes. (Or at 350F he can bake for 20-25 minutes).
Grill: Clean the grill thoroughly and spray the grill with oil before cooking. Cook over low heat for about 5 minutes on each side until cooked through.
Note that you can use more bread crumbs and omit the bread, or vice versa.
Serving: Fourmeatball, calorie: 254kcal, carbohydrate: 13.5g, protein: 27g, thick: 11g, saturated fat: 2g, fiber: 3.5g
WW Points Plus: 6
keyword: greek meatball recipes, greek turkey meatballs, greek turkey meatballs with tzatziki sauce, ground turkey recipes