Greek lemon chicken soup is traditionally made with rice, but a low-carb version of cauliflower rice was just as good! Thickened with a mixture of beaten eggs and lemon juice, this delicious Greek Avgolemono soup contains , use either type of rice.
Try PIN Greek Lemon Chicken Soup Later!
this Greek Lemon Chicken Soup 2 Ways It is officially called the Greek Avgolemono Soup. And I think the first time I had this lemon chicken soup was when I was in college, so I’ve always loved this chicken and rice soup that’s thickened with eggs and lemon.
I first made this soup many years ago for my blog and my version is 3 ancient dishes from a humble gourmet (affiliate link), a very old cookbook full of good ideas. I used leftover rotisserie chicken and chicken stock from the freezer to make the soup, and since I had them on hand, I thought I’d make a low-carb version of this favorite soup by substituting cauliflower rice for the rice!
And the Greek lemon chicken soup made with cauliflower rice was really great for a low carb soup. fun!
What are the ingredients needed for this recipe?
(THIS IS A LIST OF INGREDIENTS ONLY. SCROLL DOWN TO SEE THE FULL PRINTABLE RECIPES OR JUMP TO RECIPE LINK AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE TO GO DIRECTLY TO THE FULL RECIPES.) increase.)
What rice should I use for Greek lemon chicken soup and rice?
If I really need comfort food, I make this soup with rice as a treat and use low blood sugar. Ben’s original processed rice (affiliate link) The soup that many Greek cooks use in the US, I promise you that soup made with cauliflower rice is absolutely delicious and very low in carbs!
What is Avgolemono sauce?
What makes this dish so special is Avgolemono sauce Mix it into the soup to thicken it. Avgolemono is a mixture of beaten eggs and fresh lemon juice and zest mixed with some of the hot broth and then slowly added back into the rest of the broth. And the egg-lemon sauce that thickens the soup is one of the classic sauces of Greek cuisine! Making Avgolemono is not that difficult, but you need to be careful because the soup will solidify if you don’t boil it after adding the sauce.
Want more soup with cauliflower rice?
You can check out Low Carb and Keto Soups with Cauliflower Rice to find more delicious soup recipes with cauliflower rice.
Two Ways to Make Greek Lemon Chicken Soup:
(This is just a summary of the recipe steps. Scroll down for the full printable recipe, or use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page to go directly to the full recipe. increase.)
- If you don’t have leftover cooked chicken, cook 3 to 4 chicken thighs or 2 small chicken breasts in chicken broth.
- I cut up a rotisserie chicken to make 2 cups of diced chicken. If you prefer a thicker soup, use more chicken.
- Heat the olive oil in a soup pot and fry the onions until golden brown.
- then in addition dried parsley (affiliate link), and dried thyme (affiliate link) Cook for a few more minutes.
- Add homemade chicken stock (or canned chicken broth) and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- If using cauliflower rice, mash the chopped cauliflower in a food processor to about 1 1/2 cups, or use frozen cauliflower rice if you want to make it easier.
- For rice, preferably measure 1/2 cup rice Uncle Ben’s processed rice (affiliate link).
- Add raw cauliflower (or rice) to stock mixture and simmer until done. About 20-25 minutes for rice or fresh cauliflower rice, slightly less for frozen cauliflower rice.
- Add the diced chicken to the broth and simmer over very low heat for 5 minutes.
- Peel the lemon and measure 1 teaspoon of lemon zest. Then squeeze that lemon and enough lemon to make 1/4 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice. (You can also use frozen lemon juice.)
- Whisk the eggs until foamy, then add the lemon zest and lemon juice and whisk to combine.
- Remove 1 cup of warm broth from broth and whisk into egg mixture, a little at a time. please
- Some Greeks make this soup with just chicken stock, rice and avgolemono sauce, but I like the chicken in the soup.
10 delicious ideas for Greek chicken:
6 cups chicken broth (see note)
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp dried parsley (or a little)
1 teaspoon dry thyme (or a little less)
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cauliflower rice (see note)
2 cups leftover chicken diced (see note)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (or more if you really like lemons)
1 teaspoon lemon zest (grated lemon zest)
- Heat the olive oil in a large, thick soup pot, add the onions, and sauté over medium heat until the onions are soft and golden brown.
- Add the dried parsley and dried thyme and simmer for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add 6 cups of chicken broth or chicken stock to the soup pot and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the rice or fresh cauliflower rice and simmer over medium-low heat until the rice is tender or the cauliflower is fully cooked, about 20-25 minutes.
- If you are using frozen cauliflower rice, the cooking time will be slightly less. Check in 15 minutes.
- Then stir in the remaining diced chicken.
- Set the heat to the lowest possible and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Peel the lemon and squeeze more lemon to make 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice.
- Beat with a whisk until the eggs start to bubble. Next, whisk in the lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Remove 1 cup of warm broth from broth and allow soup to cool slightly.
- Next, whisk in 1/2 cup broth, then add another 1/2 cup to the egg mixture, whisking well after each addition.
- Pour this mixture into a large pot of soup (make sure the temperature is very low) and heat the soup gently.
- Do not bring to a boil after adding the egg and lemon mixture.
You can use fresh cauliflower finely chopped in a food processor to make cauliflower rice or frozen cauliflower rice for this recipe.
To make soup with regular rice, use 1/2 cup Ben’s Original Converted Rice (not instant) in conventional soup.
If you prefer a thicker soup, use more chicken.
This soup cannot be frozen and must be carefully reheated. Otherwise, the eggs will curdle the soup.
Use reduced-salt chicken soup if you prefer.
Nutritional information is for cauliflower rice soup.
Recipe adapted from 3 ancient dishes from a humble gourmet (affiliate link).
Nutrition Facts Table:
Amount Per Serving:
calorie: 181Total Fat: 10gsaturated fat: 2.7gTrans fat: 0gUnsaturated fat: 6.4gcholesterol: 140mgsodium: 1000mgcarbohydrates: 5.4gfiber: 1gsugar: 2.8gprotein: 16g
The Recipe Plug-In I use automatically calculates nutritional information. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy as many variables affect the calculations.
Low Carb / Low Glycemic / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Ben’s original processed rice (affiliate link) is the lowest glycemic type of white rice and using it in this Greek Lemon Chicken Soup makes it suitable for Phase 2 or 3 of the original South Beach Diet. Using cauliflower rice makes this a very low-carb soup, suitable for any stage of the original South Beach diet, or any other type of low-carb or keto diet plan.
Find more recipes like this:
Find more recipes like this with our soup recipes. Use the diet type index to find recipes that are suitable for specific meal plans.I also recommend following Karin’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on facebook, on Instagram, on TikTokagain on youtube To see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical notes for this recipe:
When I first made this delicious soup for my blog in 2006, I probably didn’t have a single photo of it. The recipe was last updated with details in 2023.
The Amazon Services LLC Associate Program is an affiliate promotion program designed to provide a means to earn commissions by linking to Amazon.co.jp and affiliate sites. As an Amazon Associate, I earn income from qualifying purchases.