The Fish Taco Cabbage Bowl is a delicious and easy-to-make idea that’s perfect for a low-carb or keto dinner anytime. If you like, grab some lettuce and turn the ingredients in the bowl into lettuce wrap fish tacos.
Pin the Fish Taco Cabbage Bowl for dinner later.
Don’t you think it’s the hardest thing to think about what to make at the turn of the season?That’s just one of the reasons I love these yummy things fish taco cabbage bowlAnd since you may still have some leftover cabbage you bought on sale this month, I recommend this as your favorite pick for this Friday. increase!
And believe me when I say these low carb fish taco bowls are truly amazing.My sister Sandy loves this recipe and has made it many times. And this is also one of my personal favorites of hers. The Fish Taco Cabbage Bowl was so good, I kept screaming how delicious it was when my nephew Jake and I tested the recipe.
The Cabbage Bowl Topped with Fish Taco Ingredients is definitely a descendant of the Sriracha Beef Cabbage Bowl (another recipe I love). Try this fish taco-in-a-bowl recipe. Like an easy and healthy dinner, you’ll love it.
What are the ingredients needed for this recipe?
(This is just a list of ingredients. Scroll down to see the full printable recipe. Or use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page to go directly to the full recipe.) increase.)
- Mild white fish fillet
- Olive oil (affiliate link)
- Szeged fish love (affiliate link) or your favorite fishlove
- ground cumin (affiliate link)
- Chili powder (affiliate link) or powdered chili powder
- green cabbage
- Red cabbage (see notes)
- green onion
- Guacamole or diced avocado for serving (totally optional, but good)
- Freshly squeezed lime juice, I used fresh frozen lime juice
- green tabasco sauce (affiliate link)
- Vegetarian (affiliate link) Taste or reduce the usual salt a bit
What fish goes well with the Fish Taco Cabbage Bowl?
Any kind of mild whitefish works well for this recipe, including cod, bass, grouper, haddock, catfish, snapper, halibut, and mahi-mahi. I’ve never made it with salmon, but I’m sure it will be delicious.
Can I eat fish taco ingredients in lettuce wraps or tortillas?
Fish Tacos and Lettuce Wraps If you like fish tacos, make a Fish Taco Cabbage Bowl and serve it in tortillas or lettuce wraps. It makes a delicious option too. Mission Carb Balance Low Carb Tortillas (affiliate link) or even your favorite low-carb tortillas make for a pretty low-carb meal.
Want more cabbage bowl meals or cabbage recipes?
If you’re a cabbage fan like me, check out these low carb and keto recipes with cabbage, or if you want more cabbage bowl ideas, check out the low carb bowl meals you make over and over again. (This recipe was also featured in 10 Favorite Low-Carb Mexican Foods to Make Over and Over Again.)
How to make a Fish Taco Cabbage Bowl:
(This is just a summary of the recipe steps. Scroll down for the full printable recipe, or use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page to go directly to the full recipe. increase.)
- I used 3 fishes, enough fish for 4 fish taco cabbage bowls. Use mild white fish.
- Mix spices together, rub fish with olive oil and spice mixture, and bring to room temperature.
- You can buy pre-sliced coleslaw mix, but we sliced the cabbage. mandoline slicer (affiliate link) And a 3cm blade. You will also need thinly sliced green onions.
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, lime juice, green tabasco sauce, and a little veggie or salt. If you don’t like mayonnaise, we recommend a mix of mayonnaise and Greek yogurt.
- i am mine Calfallon Stove Grill Pan (affiliate link) Cook fish, but a regular skillet will work too.
- Apply a little olive oil and heat the pan before placing the fish on it. After about 4 minutes on medium heat, flip the fish over and grill for another 4 minutes.
- Remove fish and let cool for 1 minute. Then use two forks to shred the fish.
- Combine about half of the shredded scallions with the cabbage mixture and toss with the dressing just enough to moisten the cabbage.
- Place cabbage mixture in bowl and top with desired amount of shredded fish.
- Then drizzle the spicy mayonnaise mixture over the top. Sprinkle some green onions and enjoy! (It seems that the green onion is not in the picture at this point!)
- Serve with guacamole or diced avocado for an extra punch of flavor!
A tastier low-carb dinner with fish:
4 fillets of mild white fish
4 tsp olive oil
2 tsp Szeged fish rub (see note)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (or ground chili powder)
1 medium-headed cabbage, thinly sliced
1/2 head red cabbage, thinly sliced (see note)
1/2 cup (or more) green onions
Guacamole or diced avocado for serving (totally optional but good, see notes)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 T freshly squeezed lime juice; see note
2 tsp green tabasco sauce (optional).
salt or vegetal to taste
- If the fish is frozen, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight.
- Combine fish rub, ground cumin, and chili powder in a small plate.
- When you’re ready to cook, dry the fish with a paper towel and rub both sides with 2 teaspoons. The olive oil is followed by the fish rub mixture.
- Let the fish come to room temperature while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Cut off the core of the cabbage and cut it with a knife or spatula. mandoline slicer (affiliate link) Thinly slice the cabbage. I used a 3 cm blade for the mandolin. (You can also use pre-sliced coleslaw mix if you don’t want to cut up the cabbage.
- Thinly slice the green onion.
- mayonnaise, lime juice, green tabasco sauceand Vegetarian (or salt) make the dressing (affiliate link).
- Brush the remaining 2 teaspoons onto a stove top grill pan or heavy skillet. Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat for about 1 minute. Then add the fish and sear on one side for about 4 minutes.
- Flip over and cook the other side for 4 minutes. (Actual cooking time will depend on the thickness of the fish fillet. The fish should feel almost firm to the touch when done.)
- While the fish is cooking, mix about half of the scallions into the cabbage mixture and stir in enough dressing to just barely moisten the cabbage.
- Once the fish is seared, allow it to cool slightly on a cutting board, then use two forks to cut the fish into strips.
- Put 1/4 of the cabbage in a bowl and top with your desired amount of fish. Drizzle a little extra dressing over the top.
- Garnish with scallions and guacamole, if desired, and serve immediately.
- If you prefer traditional fish tacos or lettuce wrap fish tacos, use this ingredient inside low-carb tortillas or lettuce wraps.
If the fish fillets are very large, only 3 pieces are needed to make 4 servings.
You can also use pre-sliced coleslaw mix if you don’t want to slice the cabbage.
I love Szeged fish love (affiliate link) But there are many good brands out there.
We love Good Foods Tableside Chunky Guacamole, which is easy and suitable for this recipe.
I used freshly frozen lime juice, which I always have in my freezer.
used green tabasco sauce (affiliate link) But another type of hot sauce works.
This recipe, inspired by Kalyn, Sriracha Beef Cabbage Bowl.
Nutrition Facts Table:
Amount Per Serving:
calorie: 354Total Fat: 31gsaturated fat: 5gUnsaturated fat: 25gcholesterol: 43mgsodium: 521mgcarbohydrates: 7gfiber: 3gsugar: 2gprotein: 12g
The Recipe Plug-In I use automatically calculates nutritional information. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy as many variables affect the calculations.
Low Carb / Low Glycemic / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This Fish Taco Cabbage Bowl recipe is perfect for any stage of a low-carb diet, a keto diet, or the original South Beach diet. The recipe is also gluten-free.
Find more recipes like this:
Use Bowl Meals to find more recipes like this. Use our diet type index to find more recipes for your specific meal plan.I also recommend following Karin’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on facebook, on Instagram, on TikTokagain on youtube To see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical notes for this recipe:
I’ve made this recipe many times since it was posted in 2014! It was last updated in 2023 with more information and a suggestion to make the Cabbage Bowl ingredients into Fish Tacos or Lettuce Wrap Fish Tacos!
The Amazon Services LLC Associate Program is an affiliate promotion program designed to provide a means for us to earn commissions by linking to Amazon.com and affiliate sites. As an Amazon Associate, I earn income from qualifying purchases.