My quick and easy classic chicken salad recipe turned healthier and lighter and made the perfect homemade chicken salad sandwich. The perfect cold lunch for meal prep!
easy chicken salad recipe
Made with simple ingredients, this classic chicken salad recipe is perfect for a pre-made lunch. It’s my go-to lunch in my fridge to eat all week or to potluck, and it’s dairy-free, gluten-free, high-protein, and low-carb. Some of my favorite healthy chicken salad recipes are coriander chicken salad, ranch chicken salad, and lemon and dill chicken salad.
Chicken salad is also a great way to use leftover chicken breasts for roast chicken.
Ingredients for classic chicken salad
- chicken: Chop 12 ounces of cooked chicken breast from 1 roast chicken. You can also save time by using a rotisserie chicken.
- mayonnaise: I use light mayo to reduce calories, but you can use whatever mayo you like.
- celery: Chop the celery for crunch and veggies.
- red onion: Swap the red onion for green onions or chives.
- Chicken broth: If the chicken salad is a little dry, stir in 2 tablespoons of broth.
- dijon mustard a little abruptly
- seasoning salt and black pepper for flavor
how to make chicken salad
Chicken salad is very easy to make. Remove chicken breast from roasted chicken, mince with vegetables, mix with mayonnaise, celery, onion, Dijon mustard, and a little chicken broth if desired, and season with salt and pepper.
how to serve chicken salad
Here are some ways to serve this chicken salad.
- wrap Use Whole Wheat or Grain-Free Tortillas
- bagel: I love bagels and chicken salad!
- breadlike those high-protein oat rolls or your favorite sandwich bread
- lettuce wrap For low carb options.
- collard green wrap Another healthy low carb option.
- salad: Eat chicken salad on lettuce and add other vegetables such as avocado, cucumber and cherry tomatoes.
What is the shelf life of homemade chicken salad?
Homemade chicken salad will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 4 days.
Variation of chicken salad
- Mayo Swap: Substitute Greek yogurt for mayonnaise, or use half yogurt, half mayonnaise.
- add some diced apple again Grape for sweetness and crunch.
- you can add nuts almonds, walnuts, pecans, etc.
- mixed in dried cranberries or cherries for sweet pop.
- addition chopped pickles In a sour bite.
- Herbs: Sprinkle with fresh dill, green onions, or parsley.
- Add seasonings such as bagel seasoning, onion powder, and garlic powder.
What should I do if my chicken salad is too dry?
I keep it light with less mayonnaise than most traditional chicken salad recipes, so I like to add a bit of chicken broth to keep it moist without the need for mayonnaise or yogurt. A great dairy-free option.
Another option is to add fat-free Greek yogurt along with mayonnaise to add protein.
More Chicken Salad Recipes You’ll Love
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle it on a salad, wrap it in plastic wrap, or make it into a sandwich
please leave a rating and comment Let us know how you liked this recipe! This allows our business to thrive and allow us to continue providing high quality recipes for free.
calorie: 131 kcal, carbohydrates: 2 g, protein: 18 g, obesity: Five g, saturated fat: 1 g, cholesterol: 50 mg, sodium: 307 mg, sugar: 1 g