this chili mac The recipe is incredibly cheesy, super satisfying, and (believe it or not) healthy! This dream meal he completes in one pot in 30 minutes.
A good classic mac and cheese recipe will stick in my mind forever, but I take pleasure in coming up with fun macaroni and cheese twists ( my cookbook).
From this Italian Mac and Cheese to Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese, this kid-friendly favorite that goes from side dish to complete meal never gets old.
Today, we’re transforming a classic cheddar mac with ground turkey, beans, and tomatoes into a hearty one-pot chili mac recipe.
It’s filling and very comforting to the soul (and stomach). cheap (Like this homemade burger helper)?
If you love macaroni cheese and chili, or are looking for kid-friendly foods that adults will enjoy, this 30-minute recipe is for you.
5 star review
“Best chili mac recipe! I’ve been making this every other week for nearly four years.”
How to make chili mac in one pot
For all my chili mac fantasies, I am happy to report that this chili recipe exceeded all my expectations.
Brilliantly rich and creamy, ground turkey and beans are incredibly hearty and filling. Comfort food at its best!
- ground turkeyMy choice of lean meat option that packs enough satisfying protein into every serving without adding fat.
- onion. For a little zip and depth of flavor that give this chili mac recipe its “all day cooked” taste.
- jalapenoTurn up the heat with this hearty Chili Mac recipe.
- spicesA classic blend of chili powder, cumin, coriander, black pepper and garlic powder gives this dish its signature chili flavor (like this vegetarian chili).
- chicken stock soupOur main cooking liquid.
- black beans + kidney beansMy favorite duo of protein- and fiber-packed legumes for almost any chili recipe (including slow-cooker turkey chili served with sweet potatoes).
- tomato saucePlus a moist and solid tomato flavor.
- diced tomatoes and green chilliesAnother layer of southwestern flare is added thanks to green chillies.
- macaroniThe real magic of this dish is that you don’t even need to boil and drain the pasta separately. (If you like one-pot pasta recipes, check out this Chicken Stroganoff.)
- Cheddar cheeseIt’s not mac and cheese without it many of cheese. I like to use sharp cheddar. Its stronger flavor means you can use less.
- green onionFor a final flourish of color and fresh onion flavor that is the perfect garnish. Fresh parsley and coriander can also be used.
chili mac and cheese topping
Feel free to add your favorite chili fixin to the spread to complete your hearty bowl of chili mac just the way you like it.
Diced avocado, extra grated cheddar cheese, Monterey jack cheese, pickled jalapenos, a dash of cayenne pepper, or chopped red onion (or pickled onions) would all be great.
- Fry the onions.
- Roast turkey with jalapeños and spices.
- Stir in tomatoes and sauce, stock, beans, and pasta. Simmer until the noodles are al dente.
- Mix until the cheese is melted and creamy. Enjoy with your favorite toppings. fun!
- to the storeLeftover chili mac can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
- reheatGently warm in the microwave or stovetop in a large skillet sprinkled with a little water or chicken broth to keep the pasta from drying out.
- To freezeChilimac can be stored in the freezer for up to three months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before warming.
If I make this easy chili mac and cheese with the intention of freezing all or part of it, I a bit Do not overcook the pasta.
what to eat with chilimac
Recommended tools for making this recipe
- can openerThe recipe is easy if the main equipment you need is a can opener. Just press one button on this electric opener. No sharp edges.
- chef’s knifeA quality steel and carbon everyday chef’s knife is a must for anyone who loves spending time in the kitchen.
- dutch ovenA one-way ticket to this one-pot masterpiece.
best dutch oven
This Le Creuset 5.5 Quart Dutch Oven is constructed from long-lasting enamelled cast iron for even heat distribution and superior holding power. It is also oven safe.
Full of flavor, full of satisfaction, When Only one pot is washed at the end.
Vote for Chilimac for dinner this year!
Frequently Asked Questions
If you want this to be a vegetarian chili mac and cheese, you can omit the ground turkey from the recipe and replace the chicken stock with vegetable stock.
I like the combination of black beans and red kidney beans the most. However, you can also use pinto beans, cannellini beans, and great northern beans in your chili his mac.
Sharp Cheddar is a Chili Mac favorite. However, you can use any other melty style cheese you like. Fontina, Pepper Jack, or Gouda all work well.
Yes, you can make an Instant Pot Chili Mac. I haven’t tried this yet so it will be an experiment! You can use it as a rough guide on how to make my Instant Pot Mac and Cheese.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 lb extra lean turkey (Use additional cans of beans to make vegetarian)
- 1 jalapeno pepper Seed and dice
- 1 tablespoon Chili powder 1 more teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tea spoon ground cumin
- 2 tea spoon ground coriander
- 3/4 tea spoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tea spoon kosher salt
- 1/4 tea spoon black pepper
- 2 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1 can low salt black beans (15 oz.) Rinse and drain
- 1 can low sodium red kidney bean (15 oz.) Rinse and drain
- 1 can tomato sauce (15 oz)
- 1 can diced tomatoes and green chillies (10 oz) undrained
- 2 cup Raw Whole Wheat Hiji Macaroni Noodles about 8 oz
- 1 cup Freshly shredded low-fat sharp cheddar cheese Addition for Serving
- Chopped green onion for serving
Heat olive oil in a large, deep Dutch oven or saucepan over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onions and sauté until soft. About 4 minutes.
Add turkey, jalapenos, chili powder, cumin, coriander, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Break turkey into pieces and cook until meat is crumbling and cooked through, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes.
Stir in chicken stock, black beans, kidney beans, tomato sauce, diced tomato juice, and pasta. Bring to a light boil, then reduce heat. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes until the noodles are al dente. Remove from heat.
Mix until the cheese is melted and creamy. Top with shredded cheese and green onions and enjoy while warm.
- store: Leftover chili can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- reheat: Lightly heat in the microwave and sprinkle with a little water or chicken stock to prevent the pasta from drying out.
- To freeze: Chilimak can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before warming. If freezing, overcooking the pasta a bit will prevent it from becoming mushy when reheated.
Serving: 1(out of 6) about 2 cupscalorie: 504kcalcarbohydrate: 67gprotein: 37gthick: 12gsaturated fat: 3gPolyunsaturated fat: 3gMonounsaturated fat: FivegTrans fat: 1gcholesterol: 60mgpotassium: 1142mgfiber: 11gsugar: 6gVitamin A: 889IUVitamin C: 16mgcalcium: 204mgiron: 7mg
Join now and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.
If you don’t know from our extensive collection of easy chili and mac and cheese one-pot recipes, my love for mac and cheese and chili runs deep.