This moist, juicy ground chicken burger is great to have all the ingredients on a bun, in a lettuce wrap for a no-carb meal, or in a bowl of grains and veggies for meal prep. Optimal.
best chicken burger recipe
If you crave a burger but don’t want to eat too much red meat, you’ll love this light chicken burger. It’s made with ground chicken and hidden spinach, so it’s incredibly moist, but you don’t know the flavor. Even better, you don’t need breadcrumbs. Make a meal with coleslaw and air fryer sweet potato fries. Some of my favorite healthy burger recipes include the Zucchini Turkey Burger, Salmon Quinoa Burger, and Chicken Parmesan Burger.
This juicy chicken burger recipe is from a new cookbook The Magic of Meal Prep: Time-Saving Tips for Stress-Free Cooking By Catherine McCord. Catherine will show you how to prep meals in advance or make them entirely ahead with delicious recipes like raspberry creamy chia pudding, salad jars, and lemon chicken thighs.
“I have a secret for you, but promise to keep it private. Fresh spinach makes this chicken burger so moist.” , you will not feel the taste of spinach at all. This recipe also doesn’t require bread crumbs or other fillers, making it a naturally gluten-free burger. Tuck it into a classic burger bun, or for extra health benefits, wrap each burger in lettuce for a super satisfying, carb-free meal. “
Catherine McCord, Author
Are chicken burgers healthy?
Ground chicken burgers are healthier than beef burgers because they are low in calories and saturated fat and high in protein. Plus, these juicy chicken burgers contain spinach as a secret ingredient, adding fiber, vitamins and minerals while keeping them moist.
chicken burger ingredients
- chicken: Buy 1 1/2 pounds of ground chicken.
- spinach: Finely chop 1 cup of fresh spinach.
- spices: garlic, onion powder, paprika, salt, black pepper
- Herbs: Made with dried thyme, mixed Italian herbs and sage.
- Buns: My favorite hamburger bun is Martin or this Old Tyme Low Carb 647 Rollbut use whatever you can find.
- Burger toppings: Optional toppings include sliced avocado, tomato,
how to make chicken burger
- Make chicken patties. Combine chicken, spinach, and spices in a large bowl. Mix everything by hand to form 5 flat patties.
- Cook a hamburger: Heat a large sauté pan, griddle, or grill pan over medium-low heat. Spray with oil and grill the patties for 4-5 minutes on both sides.
- assemble: Place a patty on each bottom bun, top with desired toppings, and place second portion of bun on top.
what to eat with chicken burger
How to store a chicken burger
Cool burgers and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Here are three ways to reheat leftovers:
- Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Cook in a pan over low to medium heat for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Air fry at 350°F for 2 minutes.
How to prepare a chicken burger meal
I love to stock burgers in my freezer, so when I don’t have time to cook, I always have a quick dinner. He can even double the batch if you need more.
Here’s how to freeze raw patties.
- Place uncooked burgers on parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze for 1 hour.
- Place meat in a labeled ziplock bag.
- To thaw, transfer bag to refrigerator overnight and cook according to directions.
- protein: Replace ground chicken with 93% lean ground turkey.
- spices: Add a teaspoon of your favorite spices such as harissa, smoked paprika or chili flakes for extra flavor.
- Grilled chicken burger: Grill burgers on a clean, greased grill over medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side.
- leftovers: Vary the leftovers and serve crumbled meat on top of rice or other grains, or wrapped in lettuce wrap.
See more burger recipes you’ll love
yield: Five one person
Serving size: 1 Burger
Add chicken, spinach, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, paprika, salt, and pepper to a large bowl. Use your hands to mix the ingredients and form them into 5 flat patties.
Heat a large sauté pan, griddle, or grill pan over medium-low heat. Spray with oil and place the patties on the skillet.
Grill burgers for 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until lightly golden and cooked through.
Place a patty on each bottom bun, add toppings of your choice, and place the second portion of buns on top.
please leave a rating and comment Let us know if you like this recipe. This allows our business to thrive and allow us to continue providing free, high-quality recipes.
for later enjoyment
Cooked burgers can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. To reheat, microwave for 30 seconds, place in a low-medium heat pan for 1-2 minutes on each side, or heat in an air fryer at 350°F (175°C) for 2 minutes, or thoroughly heat until hot.
prepare in advance
Place uncooked burgers on a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze for 1 hour, then place in a labeled zip-top bag. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and cook as directed.
Crumble a cooked burger over rice (or other grain of your choice) or wrap it in lettuce for a carb-free meal.
Provided by: 1 Burger, calorie: 284 kcal, carbohydrates: 19 g, protein: 27.5 g, obesity: 3 g, saturated fat: 2 g, cholesterol: 117 mg, sodium: 487.5 mg, fiber: 3 g, sugar: 2 g