A delicious cauliflower gratin with crispy cheddar and parmesan cheese is the perfect low-sugar side dish for any special meal! And I also enjoy this as a meatless entree.
Pink cauliflower gratin to make later!
this cauliflower gratin With sharp cheddar and parmesan cheeses, this recipe is a fan favorite, low-sugar, delicious, pleasantly cheesy, and surprisingly easy to make. There is something perfect about the combination of cauliflower and cheese. Don’t you agree?
This recipe is a close cousin to one of my favorites, broccoli gratin (I’ve made it many times for Thanksgiving and other special dinners).
Both of these easy gratin recipes are great as a side dish to cheese, but I recently had cauliflower for a low-carb entree (like I want to be a mac and cheese) and thoroughly enjoyed it as a meatless meal. .Green salad on the side.
What is gratin?
words gratin A dish topped with cheese (sometimes butter and breadcrumbs) and cooked in an oven or under a broiler until golden brown and slightly crispy.
What are the ingredients needed for this recipe?
(This is just a list of ingredients for the recipe. Scroll down for the full printable recipe, or use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page to go directly to the full recipe. increase.)
- Finely grated sharp cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice, I used fresh frozen lemon juice
- dijon mustard (affiliate link)
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- finely grated parmesan cheese
Can this cauliflower gratin recipe be made with frozen cauliflower?
Personally, I use fresh cauliflower for this recipe, but I’ve never made it with frozen cauliflower. I think you’ll probably get pretty good results by using .
More gratin recipes to taste:
If you like cheesy vegetable gratin, you might also like delicatessen squash and sausage gratin, ham and broccoli casserole au gratin, sweet potato gratin, simple Brussels sprouts gratin, or spaghetti squash and chard gratin.
How to make cauliflower gratin:
(This is just a summary of the recipe steps. Scroll down to see the full printable recipe, or use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page to jump to the full recipe. move directly.)
- Cut medium-sized cauliflower heads into bite-size pieces. Then cook the cauliflower in boiling water for 10 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, combine finely grated sharp cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, Dijon mustard and pepper.
- Once the cauliflower has cooked for 10 minutes, drain well in a colander placed in the sink.
- Drain the cauliflower well and place in a baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick spray or a little olive oil.
- Using a rubber scraper, spread cheese mixture over cauliflower.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until cauliflower is lightly browned.
- Hmmm! I love this for meatless dinners and cheese side dishes!
Cauliflower with cheese:
Weekend Meal Prep:
This recipe has been added to the Weekend Meal Prep category to help you find recipes that you can prepare or cook on the weekend and eat on the weekday!
1 medium head cauliflower, diced
1 cup finely grated sharp cheddar cheese
4 T sour cream
1 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 t of finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- Cut cauliflower into bite size pieces. (Cut off the cauliflower stems and pull the flower ends away to avoid small pieces of cauliflower spreading all over the cutting board.)
- Place cauliflower in a small saucepan, add water until submerged by a few inches, bring to a boil and cook 10 minutes or until cauliflower begins to soften.
- Place the cauliflower in a colander over the sink and drain well.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, Dijon mustard and black pepper. Stir in finely grated sharp cheddar cheese.
- Spray a large glass or dish baking dish with olive oil or nonstick spray, then pour the well-drained cauliflower onto the dish and spread evenly.
- Spread the gratin dough over the cauliflower with a rubber spatula. (This is more of a topping, not a sauce that completely covers the cauliflower.)
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes or until cauliflower is bubbly and lightly browned.
- while it’s hot.
Nutrition Facts Table:
Amount Per Serving:
calorie: 268Total Fat: 22gsaturated fat: 10gUnsaturated fat: 10gcholesterol: 48mgsodium: 375mgcarbohydrates: 6gfiber: 2gsugar: 2gprotein: 12g
The Recipe Plug-In I use automatically calculates nutritional information. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy as many variables affect these calculations.
Low Carb / Low Glycemic / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This recipe is perfect for any low-carb or keto diet plan. We recommend using low-fat sour cream.
Find more recipes like this:
Find more recipes like this with side dishes. Use the diet type index to find recipes that are suitable for specific meal plans.I also recommend following Karin’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on facebook, on Instagram, on TikTokagain on youtube To see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical notes for this recipe:
This recipe was posted in 2009. It has been popular ever since and was last updated with detailed information in 2023.
The Amazon Services LLC Associate Program is an affiliate promotion program designed to provide a means for us to earn commissions by linking to Amazon.com and affiliate sites. As an Amazon Associate, I earn income from qualifying purchases.