Serve this vegetarian borscht soup with a big loaf of rye bread and butter, or a nice green salad.
This meatless borscht soup recipe makes a veggie-filled broth with a beetroot and potato filling (I prefer beef broth, but vegetable broth is fine). Beautiful red color and very tasty. Some versions of traditional borscht have meat in them, but I don’t put anything in them, so depending on the stock you use, they can be made vegetarian. , was very tasty, but you can substitute vegetable stock or bouillon. For more beet recipes, try this Red Beet Salad, Baby Greens with Goat Cheese, Spiral Mediterranean Beet and Feta Skillet Bake.
How healthy is borscht?
A nutritious and healthy borscht soup with potatoes and beets. Potatoes are a good source of dietary fiber, protein and vitamin C, but beats It is low in calories and rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals such as folic acid and potassium.
Ingredients for borscht
- onion: Chop the onion and put salt When pepper.
- garlic: Chop 3 cloves.
- Tomato paste: You will need 3 tbsp. You can freeze the leftover paste in an ice cube tray to save for later.
- spices: smoked paprika and celery seeds
- vegetable: peeled and cut into 1 pound pieces maroon potatoes When beats in bite size cubes.
- stock: Any stock or soup will work.
- Vinegar: Use one tablespoon of red wine vinegar.
- Garnish: sour cream or plain yogurt with chopped dill and parsley
how to make borscht
- Sauté: Season the onions with salt and pepper and sauté in a large saucepan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, until soft and slightly browned.
- Boil: Add the potatoes, beets, and broth to the pot, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Season: Add vinegar, mix, and season with salt and pepper.
- serve: Put the soup in a bowl, add sour cream or yogurt little by little and garnish with fresh herbs.
how to freeze borscht
Freeze the remaining borscht soup in a freezer-safe container, leaving a little room on top for the soup to rise. To thaw, place the container in the refrigerator and warm in the microwave the day before serving.
- Beeg: If you want to make this with beef, add the diced chuck beef to the broth before adding the vegetables and simmer for at least an hour to an hour and a half until tender, then follow instructions. I have.
- potato: If you don’t have Russet potatoes, Yukon Gold is probably the best substitute.
- stock: For vegetarian borscht, use vegetable stock.
- Vinegar: Replace red wine vinegar with white wine or apple cider vinegar.
- Dairy Free: Skip the yogurt/sour cream at the end.
More Vegetarian Soup Recipes You’ll Love:
Your comments are helpful!if you tried this health Borscht Recipes and other stuff from Skinnytaste, don’t forget rate recipes When leave a comment under.And if you take a picture of it please share it with me Instagram Be able to re-share in stories!
Enjoy this vegetarian borscht soup with a big loaf of rye bread and butter, or a nice green salad.
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tea spoon kosher salt, plus taste more
- freshly ground black pepper, taste
- 3 garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tea spoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 tea spoon celery seeds
- 1 lb maroon or other starchy potatoes, peel and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 lb beats, peel and cut into bite size pieces
- Four cup 1 quart chicken, beef, or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- sour cream or plain yogurt, for topping
- chopped dill and/or parsley, for decoration
Heat a heavy-bottomed 3-quart or larger saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, then add olive oil and swirl to coat.
Add the onion, mix, and season with 1 teaspoon salt and a little pepper. Cook, stirring, until onions are softened and beginning to brown, 5 minutes.
Add garlic, tomato paste, paprika, and celery seed and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
Add potatoes, beets, and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes and beets are tender.
Stir in vinegar. Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper if necessary.
To serve, place a ladle in a soup bowl, add a dollop of sour cream or yogurt on top, and garnish with a few pinches of chopped dill and/or parsley.
If you want to make this with beef, add the diced chuck beef to the broth before adding the vegetables and simmer for at least an hour to an hour and a half until tender, then follow instructions. maybe.
Serving: 11/3 cup, calorie: 167kcal, carbohydrates: 28g, protein: 4.5g, obesity: Fiveg, saturated fat: 0.5g, sodium: 599.5mg, fiber: Fourg, sugar: Teng
keyword: Beets, borscht and soup recipes