This quick and easy recipe for black beans and rice is delicious! Made with sofrito, canned black beans, and long grain rice.
black beans and rice
Serve these rice and beans as a meatless main dish with avocado, or as a side dish with steak, pork chops, grilled chicken, etc. is his love language, so I always make this delicious dish! This healthy black bean and rice recipe is similar to my Cuban Arroz Congri, but with a few differences. Some of my favorite Latin bean recipes are Dominican beans, arroz con gandules, and Mexican pinto beans.
Are black beans and rice healthy?
Rice and black beans contain protein, and beans are rich in dietary fiber. Combined, they provide a very filling meal. One serving contains 6.5 grams of protein and 4.5 grams of fiber.
- Sofrito: Sofrito is a sauce made from onions, peppers and garlic, often used with stews, beans and meat dishes. I like to make it in bulk and freeze it in ice cube trays, so I always have a few on hand.
- Black bean: Using canned beans saves time.
- Rice: Buy long grain white rice.
- water cook rice and other ingredients
- Sazon: Sazone is a Latin spice blend of achiote, coriander, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Achiote is what gives the rice its yellow color. You can make homemade sazons or buy packs at the supermarket.
- Bouillon: If you’re vegetarian, choose vegetable broth, but chicken is fine too.
- salt Season
How to make black beans and rice
- Cook the sofrito: Heat a medium pot over medium heat and add oil. Add the sofrito and simmer for a few minutes until fragrant.
- boiling: Add the washed beans and rice, water, sazon, bouillon and salt and stir. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the top of the rice has been skimmed off.
- Boil: Cover the pot and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and steam for 5-8 minutes without opening the lid.
How to Freeze Black Beans and Rice
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days and in the freezer for months. Store them individually in smaller, airtight containers, or take them out in larger containers for dinner for the whole family and store them when you need a quick side dish. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and warm in the microwave or oven.
More Black Bean Recipes You’ll Love:
yield: 8 serving
Serving size: 7 /8 cups
Heat a medium-thick saucepan over medium heat with a tight-fitting lid and add the oil.
Add the sofrito and simmer, stirring, until thick and fragrant, 3-4 minutes.
Add washed beans and rice and mix well.
Add water, saison, bouillon, and salt, stir, and simmer over medium heat until most of the broth is gone, then skim off the top of the rice.
Cover immediately and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and steam for another 5 to 8 minutes without opening the lid, and the rice will be cooked.
Please enjoy with a fork.
please leave a rating and comment Let us know how you liked this recipe! This allows our business to thrive and allow us to continue providing high quality recipes for free.
Serving: 7 /8 cups, calorie: 236 kcal, carbohydrates: 46.5 g, protein: 6.5 g, obesity: 2 g, saturated fat: 0.5 g, sodium: 331 mg, fiber: 4.5 g, sugar: 0.5 g