Beef and Sausage Italian Meatloaf is a flavorful, grain-free meatloaf that can be partially frozen with this recipe. Or, if you don’t want to eat too much meatloaf, we designed the recipe so that you can easily cut it in half.
Years ago, I came up with the no-bread crumb beef and sausage meatloaf and used flaxseed flour to bind it together. Changed. And for the last few years I’ve been making this Italian meatloaf with beef and sausageso we decided it was time to update this recipe to our preferred version.
Of course, every time we update and improve an old recipe, we know there are people who were fans of the original version! You can see a printable version of the beef and sausage meatloaf from
But we recommend you try the new version of Italian meatloaf with Lao’s tomato basil sauce and Parmesan cheese! Got it! And this is a recipe that makes two meatloaf so you can freeze one for later. Or if you have too much meatloaf, I designed the recipe so that you can easily cut it in half.
If your family loves Italian sausage, surely this delicious meatloaf is ready to eat at your home! I hope you agree that it looks delicious in.
What are the required ingredients?
(THIS IS A LIST OF INGREDIENTS ONLY. SCROLL DOWN TO SEE THE FULL PRINTABLE RECIPES OR JUMP TO RECIPE LINK AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE TO GO DIRECTLY TO THE FULL RECIPES.) increase.)
What gives this meatloaf recipe its Italian flavor?
This Italian meatloaf is packed with Italian flavors like spicy (or mild) Italian sausage, pasta sauce, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, dried basil and ground fennel.
What pasta sauce did you use to add flavor to your Italian meatloaf?
used Laotian tomato basil sauce (Affiliate link) Mix into the meat mixture to add flavor and brush on top of the meatloaf at the end of cooking time. Please use the source.
Why is flaxseed meal great for low-carb, gluten-free meatloaf?
Love this grain free meatloaf uses flaxseed meal (affiliate link) Attach the materials! Flaxseed is rich in nutrients, is a popular oil as a dietary supplement. But flax seeds, in addition to omega-3 fatty acids, are rich in both types of fiber and also contain plant estrogens called lignans, making them more nutritious than oil alone. Of particular interest to eaters, flaxseed meal contains about the same amount of fiber as carbs, meaning it has very little net carbs.
Is this Italian meatloaf gluten-free?
Flaxseed meal is naturally gluten-free, so using it instead of bread crumbs to bind the meatloaf together makes this a gluten-free meatloaf recipe as well.
Low-carb meatloaf to try:
Those who prefer low carb meatloaf or breadless meatballs may also like Horseradish Meatloaf with Sour Cream Horseradish Sauce or Turkey Pesto Meatloaf.
How to make Italian beef and sausage meatloaf:
(This is just a summary of the recipe steps. Scroll down for the full printable recipe, or use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page to go directly to the full recipe. increase.)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- I used hot Italian sausage, but you can use mild sausage if you prefer. I would like to use Turkish Italian sausage if I can find it, but unfortunately it has disappeared from my store.
- Remove the Italian sausage and ground beef from their packaging and place them in a bowl.
- used Laotian tomato basil sauce (affiliate link) but use your favorite low-sugar pasta sauce.
- I broiler pan (Affiliate Link) Cook the meatloaf so the fat drips off the meat. You probably have one that comes with your oven. Spray the pan with nonstick spray or oil.
- beat the eggs and mix dried onions (affiliate link), garlic powder (affiliate link), dry virgin (affiliate link), dried parsley (affiliate link), ground fennel (affiliate link), and salt.
- Then measure flaxseed meal (affiliate link), pasta sauce, coarsely ground parmesan cheese. Add these ingredients and the egg mixture to the ground beef and sausage.
- Mix gently with clean hands, but do not over mix.
- Divide meat mixture and shape into 2 meatloaf. I like to make diagonal scores with a butter knife. A butter knife looks great and provides a guide for cutting the slices.
- Bake meatloaf for about 50 minutes or until browned.
- While the meatloaf was cooking, I added another scoop of tomato basil sauce to the pot. magic bullet (Affiliate link), so it was smooth to apply it to the meatloaf. (Of course, you can skip that step if you want!)
- After 50 minutes, coat the meatloaf with a second tomato-basil sauce and return to the oven.
- Cook an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until meatloaf reaches 165F/75C instant read meat thermometer (affiliate link). Reaching that temperature is especially important when using turkey Italian sausage.
- If you don’t have an instant lead thermometer, cut open one meatloaf and see if it’s done.
- Let the meatloaf cool for a few minutes, then sprinkle with chopped parsley if desired, slice and serve hot.
- See the full recipe below for how to freeze this meatloaf.
Eat a low-carb diet:
This beef and sausage Italian meatloaf is delicious with instant pot green beans, zucchini with pesto sauce, spinach with garlic and parmesan cheese, low carb Italian pasta salad, cauliflower rice with basil, parmesan cheese and pine nuts. perfect for a meal. .
Other dinners with Italian sausage:
To find more dinner ideas with spicy or mild Italian sausages, check out 40 Low Carb and Keto Italian Sausage Recipes!
Weekend Meal Prep:
This recipe has been added to the category called Weekend Meal Preps. Here you can find recipes that you can prepare or cook on weekends and eat on weekdays!
2 lbs. ground beef (see note)
19 oz. package. hot or mild Italian sausage links (see note)
2 cups Rao’s Tomato Basil Sauce (divided) (see note)
2 T dried onions
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons dried virgin
1 teaspoon dried parsley
2 teaspoons ground fennel
1 teaspoon salt (adjust according to taste)
3/4 cup flaxseed flour
1 cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
3 eggs, slightly beaten
3 T fresh chopped parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- Spray a roasting rack or loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- Remove the ground beef and sausage from the packaging, squeeze the sausage out of the casing, and place it in the mixing bowl with the ground beef, allowing the meat to come to room temperature.
- Spray a broiler pan or baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl, add the dried onions and stirgarlic powder, dried basil, dried parsley, ground fennel, salt.
- Next, measure flaxseed flour (affiliate link), Rao’s tomato basil sauce, and coarsely grated Parmesan cheese.Add the egg mixture and those ingredients to the ground beef and sausage in the bowl
- Wash your hands before mixing the meatloaf. Mix the meat well, but not too much, so that the spices and eggs are evenly distributed.
- Form the meat into two loaves and place them in the broiler pan. I like to make diagonal scores with a butter knife. is optional for
- Bake about 50 minutes or until meatloaf is done.
- While I’m cooking my meatloaf, I like to buzz another cup of Rao’s Tomato Basil Sauce with my magic bullet or food processor so it’s smoother. If you don’t mind the sauce looking a little chunky when brushed, you can skip that step.
- When it looks nearly done, remove the meatloaf from the oven and brush with another cup of pasta sauce.
- Return to oven and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes or until oven reaches 165F/75C. instant read meat thermometer (affiliate link) If you don’t have a meat thermometer, cut it open and make sure it’s completely inside
- Allow the meatloaf to cool for a few minutes, then sprinkle with slices, chopped parsley if desired, and serve hot.
- Leftover meatloaf freezes well and will last at least 6 months in the freezer. I like to cut it into slices, wrap enough in foil for one dinner, and reheat in the toaster for a quick and easy dinner.
- If you want to freeze the whole meatloaf, I haven’t tried freezing it raw, then thawing it and baking it later, but I think it would work well if the beef and sausage weren’t frozen when you bought it. You can also cook them for a few minutes, let them cool, wrap them in foil and freeze them.If you want to eat them later, thaw them, cover them with foil and bake them until they are browned, remove the plastic wrap and apply the sauce to finish cooking.
Use ground beef with the amount of fat that suits your personal dietary preferences. You can use either pork or turkey Italian sausage and hot or mild sausage, whichever you prefer.
I love Lao’s tomato basil sauce with no added sugar, but feel free to use your favorite pasta sauce.
flaxseed meal (affiliate link) Naturally gluten free and very low net carbs. Please check the package information when purchasing.
I cut each meatloaf into 9 pieces, but the ends were quite small, so I used 8 servings per meatloaf to calculate the nutrition facts.
A recipe invented by Karin and Carla.
Nutrition Facts Table:
Amount Per Serving:
calorie: 347Total Fat: 24gsaturated fat: 9gTrans fat: 0gUnsaturated fat: 15gcholesterol: 110mgsodium: 613mgcarbohydrates: 6gfiber: 2gsugar: 2gprotein: 26g
The Recipe Plug-In I use automatically calculates nutritional information. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy as many variables affect the calculations.
Low Carb / Low Glycemic / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
With flaxseed meal as a binder, our beef and sausage Italian meatloaf is perfect for low-carb or keto diet plans. Low-carb diets may favor high-fat ground beef and sausage. This recipe is approved at any stage of the original South Beach Diet when using lean ground beef and low-fat turkey Italian sausage.
Find more recipes like this:
Find more recipes like this with oven dinners. Use the diet type index to find recipes that are suitable for specific meal plans.I also recommend following Karin’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on facebook, on Instagram, on TikTokagain on youtube To see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical notes for this recipe:
The original version of this grain-free meatloaf was first posted in 2013. Updated with new photos for 2020 and updated to Italian he meatloaf of beef and sausage shown here in 2023. (Use this link to find the original recipe.)
The Amazon Services LLC Associate Program is an affiliate promotion program designed to provide a means to earn commissions by linking to Amazon.co.jp and affiliate sites. As an Amazon Associate, I earn income from qualifying purchases.